Re-purposing chemical buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lane19d

Reaction score
I have two buckets that once held industrial grade sanitizer for a dishwasher, they are both labeled 2 hdpe plastic. I'm only wondering if I should use them for beer or not. Is there a special way to clean them, perhaps with baking soda to neutralize the prior chemicals?

industrial sanitizer for dishwashers is either Quat or a high concentration bleach 8% or so. nothing really there to nutralize.

active ingredients were: sodium hydroxide and sodium hypocloride

I'm not a chemist, is that bleach?

maybe it's just me, but i'd be leery of using anything that held something starting with "industrial". may be harmless, but it just gives me a case of the shivers, thinking about soaking beer in it for weeks, then drinking it, regardless of how well cleaned

active ingredients were: sodium hydroxide and sodium hypocloride

I'm not a chemist, is that bleach?

That's lye used for soap making and bleach. A couple good soakings with hot water and a star san soak seems okay. Use them at your own discretion though.

maybe it's just me, but i'd be leery of using anything that held something starting with "industrial". may be harmless, but it just gives me a case of the shivers, thinking about soaking beer in it for weeks, then drinking it, regardless of how well cleaned

Well, after telling my wife that I may use these buckets...she too shivered and said she may allow a little more in my homebrew budget for some more buckets! I consider this a success! LOL! Thanks to all for the replies!

Latest posts

Back