re-fining beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8shandini

Reaction score
I'm having a barbecue Saturday and I realized that my cream ale wasn't going to carb up in time, so I gave it a shake for a few minutes on the gas. I fined with isinglass when I kegged it, so I expected that I'd just put some chunks in suspension that would rapidly fall out. What happened, however, is that I've got cloudy beer again.

I shook it up on Monday, tried one last night and it was still very cloudy. Usually, I have nearly clear beer overnight. Do you guys think this will clear by the weekend, or should I try some gelatin (out of isinglass) to speed things along?

You can sure try the gelatin. I very rarely fine my beers at all, but fine the wines I make. Gelatin will work in a day or less, and works best if the beer is cold. Just pour the gelatin in on the top of the keg and don't shake it, let it fall through the beer. You will want to then dump the first pint or so and transfer to another keg before moving the keg anywhere.

I vote for leaving it sitting still and pulling 1/4 pints off daily or even every 12 hours. Adding gelatin will only add to the sediment at the bottom of the keg around the dip tube. If it was clear before, it will be clear again.

Good luck.

Back