RE: Best Table Rice for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtogio

Reaction score
Hello!

So, I've been informed by my local homebrew supplier that true Sake Rice is not available in the stores (at least at there's), and that I can just use table rice to make some sake.

This is probably sacrilege to some, I wanted to ask if there are any recommendations for a commercially available rice that would be good for making sake.

Are there traits I should look out for in a rice (i.e. should the rice be sweet, glutinous, etc), assuming I can't get a hold of the real stuff. Also, should I stick with only Japanese short grain varieties or should I look to other short grains as possibilities?

Also wanted to point out I'm aware of F.H. Steinbart. That looks like an awesome product, but the shipping is a bit out o my budget right now.

Thanks in advance to any responses!

Koshihikari rice is a true short grain variety. Most Asian markets sell it.

1327365789koshihikari.jpg

kagayaki_rice_large.jpg

91UShiMvbBL._SY679_.jpg

I have used the top two for rice wine. All three are grown in the USA. I doubt you want to pay the price for Koshihikari grown in Japan. Its insanely expensive here if you can even find it. USA grown runs about $25-30 per 15lbs. Japanese grown can cost over $100/15lbs with shipping.

Latest posts

Back