Raw-ish Farmhouse w/ Jovaru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
Hey all, working on this recipe and wondered if anyone who's done a raw ale before (especially with this or similar yeast) has suggestions/comments:

TFvflJl.png

I brew BIAB, so my process would be:

1. Mash for ~120 minutes at ???F. (I was thinking lower, like 150F for attenuation's sake, but I read in several places that true Lithuanian farmhouse is actually mashed quite high.) First hop charge and juniper berries go in the mash.
2. Remove/squeeze bag, raise to 180F to pasteurize.
3. Cut heat, add second hop charge and whirlpool for a while.
4. Either chill to 90F, or do no chill with the lid on my Robobrew until it gets there.
5. Pitch Jovaru, let it ride at ambient temps in my garage.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

EDIT: Juniper should be 120min, too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't add juniper berries to this brew. Instead, I would personally add more hops that can compliment the flavours described by Omega. I already brewed with Jovaru and will brew again, and the flavour is very good on its own. Slightly citrussy, lemony and peppery hops can work: Motueka, Mandarina Bavaria, Pacific Jade, Saaz, etc. I think this yeast can easily take more hops and possibly a bit of dry hopping. It does not seem to strip the hops as much as your usual Belgian Farmhouse/ Saison yeast.

I would mash lower: 147-149F. The yeast itself seems to produce some glycerol, so it will feel fuller than it actually is. Mine does to a certain degree, but it's not a bad thing. It's still plenty dry, but not wine/bone dry.

Mine started at 1.050 and finished at 1.005 and does not feel as dry as I wanted, but definitely lends a soft mouthfeel that rounds the beer up. The attenuation is higher than Omega states on their specs. page. I mashed at 149F for 65 minutes, boiled for 90 and did not use sugar.

I hope my answer and very limited experience does not confuse you. I think this yeast is a very nice addition to the yeast catalogue. I have some bottles still which I will condition for a few more weeks and see how the beer evolves. I will add that this beer already " feels " well-conditioned and somewhat reached maturity. Last night, I got some very positive feedback on it from a brewer that had previously worked with Epic Brewing. ( YES, he was in Iasi, Romania yesterday with his Romanian wife ... if anyone wonders how in the world I was able to talk with an American ex-brewer from Epic )

Good luck. Cheers!

Last edited:
I have done a raw ale. Saison, I mashed low and used pils malt, high alpa acid hop in the mash. 5 ml lactic acid for 25 liters of wort. Mashed low. Then raised the mash temp to 161 degree f for pasterizing. Bottle conditioned. It was good 2 months later. Very hazy and yeasty. Bright fruity with noticable bitterness. Finished 1006 very full flavored yet drinkable. One of my favorites for quick brew day.

Also 3711 yeast. Kettle fermented. At warm temps. And of course a fa roo lick acid rest lol, 113 f for 7 min.

I have done one raw ale, using Omega's Voss kveik yeast and no hops (it was a sour). It was an interesting beer; more interesting than good, but good enough I might brew it again with a few minor changes. Mainly, I didn't pasteurize it last time. (next time I'll heat it to a simmer to coagulate the proteins and kill the enzymes, and then chill it) Anyway...

Not sure why you want to mash for more than an hour. ???

I'm interested to hear how this turns out, this is the first time I've heard of this yeast. Been out of the loop for a few years. What's the idea with the toasted toffee malt?

Latest posts

Back