Raspberry Lambic to Peach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
I have a raspberry lambic wrapping up (been about 9-10 months) I'd like to reuse the cake at the bottom and start another on top of it. I used real raspberries and was thinking the next I'd make a peach lambic, should I try to scoop out the deteriorated raspberries or should I not worry about it?

i would try to filter the raspberries out. i would sanitize a stainless steel sieve and run the cake through that.

the whole cake might be a bit much, a third should provide more than enough bugs. you have little viable sacch in there so the resulting brew will sour pretty quickly. adding a little sacch might add some complexity.

i would try to filter the raspberries out. i would sanitize a stainless steel sieve and run the cake through that.

the whole cake might be a bit much, a third should provide more than enough bugs. you have little viable sacch in there so the resulting brew will sour pretty quickly. adding a little sacch might add some complexity.

Thanks - Just trying to figure out how I can do all that while minimizing it touching other brewing equipment. I didnt want to have to sacrifice another bucket to the brett gods.

put the sieve over a wide-mouth jar or even a bowl (like a mixing bowl), and filter into that. you don't need the whole cake so it's OK if it doesn't all fit or some spills over the sides. strain and pitch immediately into the next batch (or transfer to a sanitized Mason/Ball jar for storage).

at least that how i would do it.

Properly concentrated bleach will allow reusing a bucket for mom sours. If it can sanitize a hospital operating room we are good to go for a plastic bucket.

Properly concentrated bleach will allow reusing a bucket for mom sours. If it can sanitize a hospital operating room we are good to go for a plastic bucket.

I agree that the bucket can be reused but I'm not sure your analogy holds. Operating rooms are all stainless steel, ceramic tiles, etc. Anything porous is disposable and only used once. There is no scratched plastic that is reused for direct contact with the patient.

The analogy is based on bleach will kill anything relevant in the beer world. And it can follow the bacteria into any scratch they can get into - the key is immersing the bucket in the bleach solution and not just splashing some around... That is the key mistake made in our hobby in my opinion.

The analogy is based on bleach will kill anything relevant in the beer world.
absolutely, bleach will kill any microorganism that it comes in contact with.

And it can follow the bacteria into any scratch they can get into
for me this is the problematic part about plastic. in the depth of a scratch, bugs can be piled on top of each other. the ones on top will be exposed to the bleach and are killed, but they can shield those underneath. a liquid has surface tension which can prevents it from getting into the deepest recesses of all scratches.

a 99.999% kill rate isn't sufficient, because it takes so few cells to have a flavor impact on a clean beer. a few stray sacch cells aren't a problem but just a few brett or pedio cells will make their presence felt.

in most cases bleach should work but i, personally, don't trust it to be 100% efficacious. i may be overly paranoid about cross-contamination. some folks have had no problems reusing plastic for clean beers after a brett/sour. YMMV.

I have reused plastic from 100% Brett beers in sacc beers, but no scratches so no possible problems. I too would be worried about the depth of scratches harboring stuff.

Back