Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronarse

Reaction score
So today I drove nearly 45 minutes (one way) to the closest LHBS to get some grain. I called previously and was told the grains were $2.50 a pound. I get 13 pounds of grain and realize they charge $3.00 per pound. Needless to say, I spend $77 for a 5 gallon batch. They won't be getting my business anymore. I guess my lack of patience got the best of me. I will refrain from using words that I am really thinking. The end!

Yea been there. I was checking out a store on my way home from work. Was tired and wasn't really paying attention to prices. Final came out to 58$. Probably could have put it together for 40ish online.

Holy crap, $3 a pound? You could order a sack of base grain and have it shipped to your house for less than that I would imagine.

Call them out! You're the customer and in the right. The LHBS here in Cincy charges $1.50-$1.80 / lb. depending on the type and I think that's pretty fair. Standard 5 gallon batches usually cost ~$20 without hops and yeast.

Did you go to Bet-Mar in Columbia, SC? sounds like their prices. please, use the words you're really thinking

Not in SC. I'm in El Paso, TX now. I've calmed down. Lesson learned. I would love to be back east, we will see in about a year and a half. The only homebrew shop near here is in Las Cruces, NM. Online ordering here I come. Oh, that price was after their military discount.

Not in SC. I'm in El Paso, TX now. I've calmed down. Lesson learned. I would love to be back east, we will see in about a year and a half. The only homebrew shop near here is in Las Cruces, NM. Online ordering here I come. Oh, that price was after their military discount.

I wish my LHBS offered a military discount, but either way they sell grain for .82 cents a pound if you buy 50 pounds. Can't really beat that price, especially in San Francisco.

El Paso Texas huh. You didn't go to the pool sales place in Las cruces new Mexico by chance?

Holy Moly Bat Man. Here in Hawai`i w/all that shipping charge they only charge $2.50 for everything besides 2-row. That's $1.70/lb.

Call them out! You're the customer and in the right. The LHBS here in Cincy charges $1.50-$1.80 / lb. depending on the type and I think that's pretty fair. Standard 5 gallon batches usually cost ~$20 without hops and yeast.

Pretty much this. My lhbs is excellent. The prices are really cheap and he usually hooks me up a bit as a return customer. $1.65 for base grains and some of the specialty are up to $2. Charges less for bulk orders. I usually spend about $36-$40 on my entire brew including hops and yeast in his store. He hand mills everything right in front of me.

$3 a pound for grain is crazy. That's what I pay for liquid malt extract at my lhbs. Specialty grains are about 1.99.

The brewing supply here in Pittsburgh is great. Grain is reasonable ($1.50 - 2.00 depending on what you buy), and some of their equipment is actually cheaper than you can most places online. Sometimes they'll run specials on bulk hops or 2-row for their regulars, like $36 sacks of two row.

If the stores in Texas are price gouging you should talk to them about it. If they push more inventory they can get bulk discounts and make everyone happier.

Holy scheiss! I found a LBHS that charges $1.09 / lb for 2-row and $1.59 / lb for most all other grains, no matter how little you buy, and that includes milling to order. And that's in S. California, where EVERYTHING is usually expensive as heck.

(Frickin' Stone IPA, brewed not 30 miles from me, is up to $12 a sixer at the grocery store, no wonder I turned to home-brewing!)

My LHBS sells 2-Row 50# for $36 and American Pale 50# for $37. I get a local HBC discount on top of that and it's on my way home from work. Doesn't hurt that my LHBS is More Beer either!

Checking their website, even if I ordered it and had it shipped to me from No CA, it would still be just over $53 for the 2-Row.

Yes, sounds like you're shopping online, huh?

I've been using ritebrew.com a lot. Just looked up El Paso. Shipping a bag would be $30. 2-row is $35 (total $1.30/lb shipped) or specialty grains usually about $50 (total 1.60/lb or so). If you have the storage, that's the way to go.

Even by the pound, it'd be way cheaper online. Austin Homebrew's another big one down by you.

Absolutely a ridiculous price. That's not far from what extract costs here. Sorry you got robbed.

Man that really sucks, I can't imagine a place will last long with those prices. I'd hate to hear what the total was if you add in your fuel costs.

I'm in El Paso. I know where you went. I don't shop with them due to their prices. It's really too bad we don't have a LHBS here. There was one about 4-5 years ago, but they didn't get enough business to stay open. There just aren't enough homebrewers here.

I think that LHBS needs a logo.

logo_for_simon_edhouse.gif

Ya, wow, that's some pricey grain. At my shop all the grain is between 1.25 - 2.00 and he grinds it fresh for you.

I pay $34 per 50# bag of two row. And they deliver. You got screwed! I wouldn't go back.

Medical lake homebrew supply. Near spokane Washington. They don't have a store it's out of their barn, they post their prices online and you can pick it up or they deliver. Pretty awesome since the LHBS here is really expensive.

Back