raising fermentation temp after 9 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naemlss

Reaction score
After going through this forum, and also happening to hear a question on lagering temp on the Strong Brew, I decided to raise the ambient temperature around my ales to 70 degrees. Is this generally a good idea, or am I looking into this to much?

Back info:
I have been fermenting in my bath tub with the bath tub water fluctuating between 65-66 degrees for 9 days. As well I have been using wet towels to wick heat from the carboys themselves. The advice given by Palmer on Strong Brew was to gradually raise the beers fermentation( for lagers) over the primary phase to ensure as the yeasts become less active that the beer stays in the proper temperature area for yeast to do their job well. I will still use the wet towels on the beer, but am just going to use my ambient air temp which stays at 69-70.

I have no way of gradually raising the temp around the beer. I will just be draining the water out from around my carboys. Will this shock the yeast?

I posted this as well in another the fermentation forum, but I figured it might be easier for noobs like me to find it here too.

You'll be fine since the crucial part of fermentation is over. I'll raise the temp on my ales to help attenuation but it also means I can pull it out of the chest freezer and make room for a new batch.

Shocking the yeast has more to do with bringing down the temp too soon, not up.

P.S. It's Brew Strong.

Lol sauce...

Strong brew seemed so appropriate though. I actually stumbled on the site due to the fact that they had a podcast for going pro/starting a brewery.

I've been taking my brews from the swamp cooler to RT to make room for more brews too... I try to leave them in the 60s (lower initially) for the first 4 days or so then bring them up to the mid to higher 60s to prepare them for RT... The couple of brews that I did that with tasted pretty good...

Thanks guys. I wanted to double check my info before jumping in.

Just keep reading all the post on here and you will find out there is no one real answer exept you tast buds.

I agree that taste is key, but sometimes when looking for a quick answer its easier to post and get feed back. I have trolled for days through this site, and sometimes its pretty hard to find stuff.

Latest posts

Back