racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derwin

Reaction score
Hello all,what is the purpose of racking from the primary to the secondary before the beer is done,or still bubbling? any advantages? why? thanks.

There is no purpose in racking BEFORE the beer is done, don't do that. You need to give the yeast time to finish fermenting and also to clean things up. Depending on the style I always leave in primary for at least 2 weeks.

This has been a debated source of contention for a while now! The main purpose for racking to a secondary, from what I can tell is to clarify your beer. If you could care less how clear your brew is, then you can skip this step altogether. A lot of brewers skip this step since it has no benefits to how good the beer tastes. Some other draw backs are that you increase your chance for infection, though a greater concern at that point, IMO, is oxidation. So ultimately, the choice is yours. I've been doing it for years and never had an infection as a result. I've also had really good tasting, clear beer. For me, presentation is important. You may feel otherwise.

So, I'm really saying that it's up to you. If you choose not to secondary, leave your brew in the primary for an extra few weeks and then bottle/keg. Either way, you're making beer!:mug:

tyzippers, I'm sure the OP (and others) would be interested in your opinion, as a secondary racker, to know when (if one chooses to at all) one racks and how does one know it's time to rack.

=======
As a newbie trying to figure out this issue, I realize now in hindsight that a lot of my confusion was over the ambiguity of the term "done". I might still have misconceptions but my current (still newbie) understanding is that there are two important things that beer does in the fermenter(s). One, it ferments and two, it "clears up". Many folks used "done" to mean done fermenting and others meant "done" as in done clearing up.

Whatever...

It boils down to this: Either the beer can do these two stages in one container (i.e. you don't rack). Or the beer can do its fermenting in one container (the primary) and the clearing up in another (the secondary) (i.e. you *do* rack). If you choose to rack then you have to be certain that the beer has finished fermenting before you rack it.

Or at least that's how this newbie sees it.

tyzippers, I'm sure the OP (and others) would be interested in your opinion, as a secondary racker, to know when (if one chooses to at all) one racks and how does one know when to rack.

Well, since you asked, I always wait until the initial fermentation is complete. This happens when the FG doesn't change for two or three days. This usually happens between a week and two weeks after pitching the yeast. Then I'll rack to the secondary and let it sit for as long as I feel is necessary. For example, if it's something like an IPA, this is where I would dry hop or if it were a big Belgian or RIS, I might let it condition or age for up to a year or more before bottling.

As an example, I just brewed an chocolate milk stout that I added cacao nibs to the primary, but after the primary ferment was completed. When I felt it had spent enough time on the nibs, I racked to secondary to let it condition a bit. I also was not ready to bottle yet so this gave me the option to rack off the nibs so it didn't get too chocolatey.

So, like Brettg20 said, there is no purpose in racking to secondary before the primary ferment is complete. Always wait till after or at least till the very end of primary fermentation when there is only slight activity in the airlock or when the FG stops changing. Clear as mud?

Always wait till after or at least till the very end of primary fermentation when there is only slight activity in the airlock or when the FG stops changing.

I wouldn't go by activity in the airlock to gauge if fermentation is done. Like you said, wait until you have constant terminal gravity over a 3 day period....but don't trust the airlock.

I wouldn't go by activity in the airlock to gauge if fermentation is done. Like you said, wait until you have constant terminal gravity over a 3 day period....but don't trust the airlock.

This is absolutely correct. However, in the off chance that a beginner brewer does not have a hydrometer, than that is the next best thing. However, if a beginner home brewer does not have a hydrometer, then I STRONGLY suggest s/he spends the ~$10 on a hydrometer/test jar to measure SG. Just do it! Don't ask why! Just do it!

thanks for the answers.I personally have always waited.But i have read in numerous places about this subject,So i will always wait.Thanks again for clearing up the confusion.

Back