Racking to Secondary after D-rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebucheron

Reaction score
I made my first lager a few weeks ago and I've just finished my D rest and am ready to rack to my secondary for a long cold nap. I brewed a 2.5 gal batch (my constraints for all-grain BIAB) but my secondary carboy is a 6 gal. Is that much head-space an issue? I'm worried that since fermentation is complete, the usual layer of C02 don't be protecting the beer.

Yea that's quite a bit of head space. Do you have any CO2 that you cld purge your carboy with? That way u cld blanket ur beer.

Or maybe you cld transfer to ur carboy, clean ur primary and transfer back? You gotsta be careful for oxidation with all that transfering tho.

I don't have any c02 unfortunately. i was wondering if i added a small amount of dme the yeast would make a small layer? the other option is 2 1gal glass jars and 1 2L pop bottle. Just not sure about 6 weeks in the bottle.

I would do that rather than throwing some DME in there. You don't wanna change what deliciousness you have already!

Latest posts

Back