Racking onto Oak Chips.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I'm planning on racking a stout I have in my primary to some oak chips that have been aging in bourbon for about two weeks. It is two ounces of oak chips that have been soaking in 1 pint of Jim Beam.

I've been contemplating putting the entire thing ( Oak and the Remaining Bourbon) into the secondary and racking on top. My main concern is if I raise the alcohol levels by too much will it kill of the remaining yeast making it difficult for my beer to carb when the time comes to bottle.

If anyone has prior experience with bourbon and beer could you let me know if there anything else I should take into account before racking?

Thanks!

That's too much bourbon to soak 2oz of chips in. 2-3 jiggers would've been plenty. Try just adding the chips & drink the oaked bourbon this time.

Oops meant 4 ounces of Oak Chips my bad.

I basically just poured the Beam on until they were all covered.

So with 4 ounces should I still add all 4 ounces, not including the Bourbon, or will that be too overpowering of a bourbon flavor in the stout?

try measuring out an amount of the beer, say 12oz, and add measured quantities of bourbon until it tastes right and scale up to your batch size. This will eliminate the guesswork and ensure it's not too much/little.

Okay, I think I could do that but wouldn't I need some time for the flavors to blend?
I plan on racking this weekend when I go home for a wedding, so it leaves me with basically a day to try this method you're talking about. I can't imagine that'd be enough time right?

Latest posts

Back