R600 / R600a / IsoButane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroolingNeoBrewery

Reaction score
My current kegerator uses the older R134a refrigerant, but I am looking to turn that into a fermentation chamber and build a keezer. I am seeing a lot of the new freezers use R600(a) instead which is butane, like whats in lighters and torches. Walmart for example has this warning on the Arctic King 5 cu ft.

WARNING
Caution - Risk of Fire or Explosion due to Flammable Refrigerant Used. Follow Handling Instructions Carefully in Compliance With U.S. and Canadian Government Regulations

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-King-5-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-White/49933741

Panicked keyboard warriors aside, this is probably fine it most cases but what about with an external temperature controller that is cutting the power off and on to control temperature? Could this cause the compressor to malfunction dangerously? Is any one using one of the newer freezers or fridges with R600 or R290 (propane, less common)?

Long as you dont short cycle it you should be fine. The johnson controls twmp unit has an anti short cycle delay feature. I set mine to 3 minutes. Its insurance.

Thanks for the reply. What is the model of the controller you use? Is the short cycle delay a pretty standard feature? Its not listed one way or another on my LHBS website. Would that be the "set independent differentials... to protect your heating and cooling devices" feature? https://www.shopbarleys.com/product/2754/inkbird-dual-stage-digital-temperature-controller

You have the inkbird which is very similar to to the Johnson Controls 421 I have. Copied from your instruction manual below, you can set the compressor delay with this controller as well. Start with 3 minute delay

5.3 Compressor Delay (PT) Under refrigeration mode, after power on, if the measured temperature is higher than the value of setting temperature(TS) plus cooling differential(CD), the equipment won’t start refrigeration immediately, but waiting for a delay time. When the time interval between two refrigeration operation is larger than preset delay, the equipment will start refrigeration immediately; when the time interval between two refrigeration is less than preset delay, the equipment won’t start refrigeration until preset delay is satisfied. Delay time will be calculated right after the moment refrigeration stops.

Last edited:
Back