Quick way to de-labelize used bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savannahvan

Reaction score
Lordy, I'm not even going to make it to bottling day at the rate these labels are coming off.

I've been soaking in warm water, peeling most off - then throwing through my dishwasher. My washer seems to be having trouble getting all the nasty glue off. Suggestions?

Many many many of us use oxyglean and a hot water soak. Usually over night, but the fizzy ness of the oxyclean does loosen some bottles almost immediately.

Of course you don't HAVE to remove labels. Many folks, myself included often bottle with the old labels still on. It won't harm the beer inside, it just doesn't look pretty. But often we don't care about what's outside...

Oxyclean for sure and keep track of which labels come off easily and which are a PITA. I've found that nothing beats Weyerbacher labels. Those things float right off! Bonus: the beer inside is very tasty.

Revvy said:
Many many many of us use oxyglean and a hot water soak. Usually over night, but the fizzy ness of the oxyclean does loosen some bottles almost immediately.

Of course you don't HAVE to remove labels. Many folks, myself included often bottle with the old labels still on. It won't harm the beer inside, it just doesn't look pretty. But often we don't care about what's outside...

Hm. You're right. I surely don't care. I figured it would just make them easier to wash. Maybe I'll just forget it. I'll snag oxyclean soon. Thanks man. You're helpful. :)

jmm635 said:
Oxyclean for sure and keep track of which labels come off easily and which are a PITA. I've found that nothing beats Weyerbacher labels. Those things float right off! Bonus: the beer inside is very tasty.

Ha ha! Hell yes. Brilliant.

I have only bottled twice and had to do so last night. I had 60 bottles to de-label. Didn't have oxyclean, so I did PBW and hot water. Labels were off after just a 30 minute soak. Glue was eaten up and all I did was have a dish brush in one hand to make sure all the glue was gone.

If a soak in oxyclean or pbw leaves any residue, I like a Mr. Clean magic eraser to finish off any label leftovers.

New Belgium labels come off easy... I just soak the bottles for a few minutes, then use a wet rag to wipe the bottles clean.

2 Words: Peanut Butter. Well, any food-grade oil will work. The oils will break down the adhesive. Just rub a small amount on the bottle and let it sit for awhile. It's how I reclaim beer bottles and mason jars.

soak in oxyclean and hot water and I use steel wool and the residue comes right off no scratches either

Latest posts

Back