Quick starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamminjoenapo

Reaction score
I have a quick question and might be thinking too hard into this, but oh well. SWMBO decided to cook this weekend and for some reason wanted to use my pot that I usually boil the starter wort in. After burning some food in it I was forced to use some dawn to clean it out. From everything I've read cleaning kettles with dawn or the likes kills the head on beer. Since I usually pitch the whole starter into my wort will this be an issue if I boil my starter wort in the pot after cleaning it with dawn? I might be a little on the paranoid side, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

To quiet the paranoid person in you, get some Bar Keepers Friend and clean the pot with that. In SS pots, it's known to remove all the bad things regular disk soap can leave behind. Just give it a good rinse when done and call it a day.

I would tell that wench to not use your brewing pot(s) for silly things like food.. Probably not the best advice to follow, since I'm still single after all these years (and have a buzz on)... :D

there must be a sacrifice to chase away the evil dish-soap demons. boil the pot with water a couple times, then clean with star-san. drink much beer during this procedure

To quiet the paranoid person in you, get some Bar Keepers Friend and clean the pot with that. In SS pots, it's known to remove all the bad things regular disk soap can leave behind. Just give it a good rinse when done and call it a day.

I would tell that wench to not use your brewing pot(s) for silly things like food.. Probably not the best advice to follow, since I'm still single after all these years (and have a buzz on)... :D

I did actually tell her and I got the look of death especially since I had done nothing but read up on brewing for the previous 6 or 8 hours. She did buy me the starter kit though so I guess I can deal with it. I'll go find some bar keepers friend and run it through.

there must be a sacrifice to chase away the evil dish-soap demons. boil the pot with water a couple times, then clean with star-san. drink much beer during this procedure

Probably will do this also, minus the star san.

BKF is cheap, easy to use, and a GREAT cleaner to have on hand... For SS pots, it does wonders. If she gets too uppity on you, you could use some on her even. Might just take that tarnish off her hind quarters :eek:

Of course, the first rule of Home-Brew Club is that you MUST drink home brew whenever doing anything related to home brewing... :ban::rockin::ban::drunk: Posting here counts... :D

Man, high temps + cold (decent strength) home brew = bzzzzzzzzzz :drunk: :D Probably should have more for dinner... :D

BKF is cheap, easy to use, and a GREAT cleaner to have on hand... For SS pots, it does wonders. If she gets too uppity on you, you could use some on her even. Might just take that tarnish off her hind quarters :eek:

Of course, the first rule of Home-Brew Club is that you MUST drink home brew whenever doing anything related to home brewing... :ban::rockin::ban::drunk: Posting here counts... :D

Man, high temps + cold (decent strength) home brew = bzzzzzzzzzz :drunk: :D Probably should have more for dinner... :D

It's in the mid 80s now with a heat index of 100+ and I've been drinking since I got home at 5. :tank:

Seriously though, I used BKF when I used to bartend a few years back.

Well, it's not like THAT up here, but warmer than I like it... After tomorrow, the temps will be nice again. My home brew is all either in a fridge, or in my buddy's basement. :rockin:

I'm tempted to have a full 750ml bottle of my ESB... Same one that made me happy earlier (with just a pint) and I'm still grinning. :D

I started drinking late compared to you too.

As for BKF, it's the shizNIT!! :D Every kitchen should have a can of it at all times. Just like it's brew-law to always drink home-brew while making home-brew, you should clean SS kettles/pots (especially for brewing) with BKF...

Back