Quick question on sanitizers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJordan

Reaction score
I recently switched from one step to starsan. It seems to produce a lot of suds when sanitizing bottles. should I rinse after sanitizing or will the residual suds affect anything?

Don't fear the foam. The suds are beneficial. Liquid should be dumped out but any remaining foam is ok and desirable. In larger vessels it is common to rack the beer right onto the foam and just let it get pushed out of the carboy/bucket as the beer fills in behind it. It is a no-rinse sanitized and will not harm the wort/beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No,don't fear the foam. It helps the Starsan get into tight spots. As well as breaking down into yeast food over a short time. So don't rinse it off,or you undo any sanitizing you had before rinsing. I use a bottle tree & vinator for sanitizing bottles,& the bottles get to drain well before filling & capping.

Don't fear the foam. It's completely safe, just as long as your mixture is correct. You could be over concentrated a bit and it would still be fine.:mug:

Edit: Guess I just got ninja'd in my reply! Same tagline too! Lol!

Latest posts

Back