Quick question for new recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uplander12ga

Reaction score
Hello all, I just have a quick question for my upcoming brew day tomorrow. I will be brewing a wit and of course the grain bill calls for flaked wheat. My question is this, do I run the flaked wheat through the grain mill with the rest of the grains or just use them "as is"? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Just use them as is. Any of the flaked grains are that way. I'm sure you could mill them but I suspect it would be more likely to cause a stuck sparge.

When I measure everything out at my LHBS, I just toss them in with the rest of the grains and they all get milled together. I had never thought about keeping them separate...I have never gotten a stuck sparge, but then again, the recipes that I have used it in have had 1/2 a pound or less for a 5 gallon batch...

My experience has been that it matters not. That said, I typically just throw flaked grain in without crushing it. But, on the occasion that I order a complete grain bill, and it's all mixed, I have crushed flaked grain without a problem.

Doesn't matter at all and you can use as is, but same here... since I'm milling anyway I just throw it in with the rest of the grains have never had any issue.

Rev.

A sincere thank you for all the replies. Now that my brew day is complete I will say that I did not mill the flaked wheat and simply added it in with the other grains that were milled. Hit my numbers perfect, no stuck sparge and am really looking forward to this brew when it finishes fermentation. Thanks again all for you posts!!!

Back