Quick non-brewing electrical question - no better place to ask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulymd

Reaction score
I've done lots of googling and can't seem to find an answer and this seemed like the best place to ask as there are lots of electrical savvy people here.

I've got a tray ceiling that has bare 12/2 wire run up to it but no electrical outlet/receptacle to plug in some lights. Unfortunately the space is too small for me to install a receptacle. Thus would it be better to hardwire in some LED lights or would wiring something like this be an option as it would give me a plug:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205165516-_-205330456-_-N

I know some about electricity, but what's a "tray ceiling"?

You don't actually mean bare (uninsulated) wire, do you?

You shouldn't hard wire lights unless the power feed is switched somewhere easily accessible. 12AWG implies it's likely a 20A circuit, and thus unlikely to be switched already.

Brew on :mug:

that must be a pretty small tray if you can't get a receptacle mounted in there. what is the wire doing there in the first place? can you provide a photo/skecth with some more details of what you are describing?

i assume this 12/2 cable is nm. if so, that connector you linked to is not rated for nm cable (requires round cord).

Took a ladder to get a better look and pictures.

It’s actually 14/2. Likely switched (there’s a wall switch that doesn’t turn anything else on nearby).

I’m guessing one of the previous owners had lights up there and then took them with or they never installed anything.

The space is only slightly more than 2 finger breaths thus would be difficult put in a box without messing with the trim.

IMG_0021.JPG

There are shallow electrical boxes that might work. Even available on Amazon but getting one locally would make returns easier if it didn't work out.

how about low-voltage lighting with a transformer? they make transformers (led drivers) that are slim and should fit in the gap between the trim and ceiling. they are rated for nm cable connections as well. nm cable is not intended for use as a cord so you are not going to find a plug rated for use with it, you really should have a receptacle in a box if you want to run as 120v with a plug. that being said, there isn't a practical danger with the original idea of a plug (though it would be a code violation). it isn't like the cable is going to be dragged around, stuff plugged in/unplugged on a regular basis, etc. and i'd be willing to bet that wall switch controls this circuit.

Back