Quick late extract addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadilos

Reaction score
Hi guys, making NB Sierra Madre as I write this. Want to add half the LME at flame out but instructions say to add the 2oz of Cascade at flameout. Okay to both both things at the same time?

Thank yet again...

Okay so take off the burner, add the LME, put back on burner, bring to boil and THEN boil for ten minutes? Or is the ten minutes include the time to take it off the heat, etc.?

Thanks!!!

I haven't actually quite figured the out myself. But what I do is I add the flame out hops, turn off the heat and mix them up well and add the LME last. I add the LME dead last because my reasoning is that it is such a cold heat sink it's going to effectively end my boil. I don't add the hops and LME together because ... well, it doesn't feel right. I sense the the LME will cool off the boil too fast and the hops won't do their thing unless they at least experience the ghost of the boil. Plus I get the impression an aroma hop at flameout is actually more panache than science; many recipes think they are perfectly good at 1 minute or even 5. But this is all impressions and, like I said, I haven't actually quite figured it out.

I did the midwest Cascade pale ale pm kit once. Great beer with the aroma addition @ 3 minutes. Worked quite well. Then add the extract @ flame out,since the wort is still boiling hot,& pasteurization happens @ 160F,it'll work fine.
But since you're doing AE,save 1/2 to 2/3's of the extract for flame out addition,doing the aroma hopping at 3-5 minutes.

Excellent advice, guys. I will add the hops at 3-5 minutes and 1/2 the LME at flame out (first half of LME is boiling as I write this).

Did this kit once before and loved it, but want to start doing late extract additions to help with the color and possible off flavors. This forum really is invaluable to newbies!

Doing it that will indeed give lighter color. But it also reduces maillard reactions that make the cooked extract "twang" flavor by reducing the amount of LME in the boil. I've found that DME doesn't succumb to this as readilly as LME. So the flame out additions help greatly in this regard.

Okay so take off the burner, add the LME, put back on burner, bring to boil and THEN boil for ten minutes? Or is the ten minutes include the time to take it off the heat, etc.?

Thanks!!!

I sure wouldn't do that! You can add the LME at flame out, and then the hops. Or vice versa. It doesn't matter.

Hey Yooper I ended up adding the hops right before flameout and the last half of the LME at flameout. It is happily sitting in my swamp cooler in the basement at 64 (temp strip reading). Thanks again everyone!

Excellent advice, guys. I will add the hops at 3-5 minutes and 1/2 the LME at flame out (first half of LME is boiling as I write this).

Did this kit once before and loved it, but want to start doing late extract additions to help with the color and possible off flavors. This forum really is invaluable to newbies!

Color can be fixed by adding the LME later, however depending on the off flavor your looking at I would suspect that it is your yeast and the temp they are fermenting at.

Back