Quick help needed - Lost my yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhunk

Reaction score
I started a batch a little bit ago and I can't seem to find my yeast... I was just using dry yeast for this batch so I din't have to do a starter so I didn't get it out earlier. My LHBS is closed for the night, should I just cool it normally and try to pitch tomorrow? Do I run a much higher risk of infection this way or will it be OK?

Assuming your sanitation process is pretty solid you should be ok to cool normally and pitch as soon as possible tomorrow.

If you've got any buddies that brew maybe you can borrow a package of yeast tonight and replace it tomorrow?

With good sanitation it will keep with no problem for 24 hours .... maybe even a week.

I think I have good sanitation, but I would worry after 2 days.

Sanitation knocks down the bacteria population to really low levels so the yeast can get established before any spoiling bacteria. Most bacteria reproduce quicker than yeast, that is one of the reasons why we pitch a large amount of yeast.

It is a race between the bacteria the yeast as to which gets established first, so no-one can tell you how long you have.

Back