Quick disconnects vs snaplock/camlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfinan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I looking to buy quick disconnects for my system. What do you guys think are best? The quick disconnects, from more beer, or the snap lock/ cam lock style? The later are defiantly cheaper but which is better, and or easier to use?

I purchased the MoreBeer stainless QDs way back before there were other options such as cam locks and really have no complaints about them (other than cost). I've seen other homebrew shops with similar looking QDs now that are cheaper, not sure if they're the same or not.

The QDs are pretty much one hand operation if you do it right whereas a cam lock I imagine requires two hands or some flexible fingers. Note that the barbed QDs have restricted flow over the threaded QDs if that matters to you; I haven't seen where it really makes a difference.

I have the cam locks. They work great. No leaks, and pretty easy to use. For the price they really can't be beat. I'm sure the more beer style disconnects are great but they are much more expensive.

If you go with cam locks, check out the ones bobby m is selling on brewhardware.com His barbed camlocks are designed not to restrict flow.

+1 on the camlocks and Bobby_M (brewhardware.com). Check out their website.

I put camlocks on everything except my mash tun. True 1/2" path all the way through using "Big C" and "BL" fittings to prevent the bottle necks of the old barbs. Life is better.

Aside from the love fest going on (thanks for that by the way), the best thing you can do is grab a mated pair of each type to play around with before you commit to either system. It's a relatively small price to pay to get exactly what you want in the long run.

The obsession with "full flow" is way overrated. My march pump can recirculate through my plate chiller then 150' of hose with 18 90 degree turns and half a dozen "restricted" camlock barbs. The new ones are nice, but they're a solution in search of a problem.

edit - Bobby is great. I've gotten a lot of stuff from him.

The full flow obsession is more about unresticted flow on the suction side of the pump because bottlenecks absolutely increase the chances for cavitation at higher temps. Even if this weren't the case, I have tested flow rates through typical a few small bore barbs and compared to Big C barbs and there is at least 1 GPM difference. I've always said that I wouldn't necessarily recommend changing all your parts out for higher flow versions if you've already invested, but when you're buying a total QD system, why would one opt for restricted flow? It's silly.

I have one suggestion, make sure you get all your cam-locs from one vendor. I have over the years upgraded my system and went with various vendors and they are not all interchangeable. This has driven me crazy over the years and I broke down and ordered all sleeve disconnects from McMaster. The restriction doesn't bother me as it will only add a few minutes to my brew day.

Back