Quick, dirty and free Ranco power cord mount.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
As someone with zero electrical experience, I was pretty proud of myself for wiring up my ranco controller on the first try. Only problem was that I didn't think to add something to keep the extension cord securely fastened to the controller. So every few months, when my hyperactive animals would plow into the fridge, the wires would be jarred loose and I would have warm beer.

Until I got fed up this morning! i made this...
AwgJ12VCAAA9n3n.jpg:large

Now its snug as a bug. I was a little concerned at first that cork plus circuit could mean fire. I realized that there are paper shields over the wires, so I'm somewhat relieved. Any electric folks out there think this thing is a problem?

Try zip ties instead of string for more leverage. My tried and true strain relief is usually to drill the hole side just the size I need then throw a zip tie on each side.

zip ties are a good idea, I considered hose clamps too, but figured that they'd be better used elsewhere so I just cut a couple of notches in the cork and tied two surgeon's knots.

At this point, its nice and taught so the string is superfluous anyhow.

romex-wire-clamp-connector.gif

a bag of these at your local Home Depot is like a dollar or two - handy to have around...

But hats off to your ingenuity!

So every few months, when my hyperactive animals would plow into the fridge, the wires would be jarred loose and I would have warm.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and think you were joking that your concern was warm beer and not burning down your house. Your solution is clever, but not too much better than before you started. I've also used the zip lock idea in plastic enclosures. It's actually better than a Romex Connector. Romex Connectors should only be used in hard wire locations where the wire and box can't move. The metal edges of a Romex Connector can cut a cord if hit hard enough or moved around enough times. When playing with electric be safe.

Latest posts

Back