Quick critique help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhawkins

Reaction score
Okay so I've got a gallon starter of Brett C that I plan on using for all Brett fermentation and topping off with fresh wort to keep it going.
I don't have the grain bill down yet but I wanted to ask a few questions just so I have a clear idea of what to expect and how to proceed.

So hops and IBU's don't matter right?
I need a big starter and ferment more or less in the 70's?
Ferment for about 4-6 weeks with the gravity and taste as the ultimate guide?
Finally and this really is the ultimate question, do I prime and bottle without adding any extra yeast?

Also if anyone wants to suggest a grain bill I'd be very interested, just a sessionable easy drinker to get a feel for the Brett character sounds good.
I'm thinking of using my Golden Promise and Amarillo SMaSH only because I can compare the two but anything will work.

Brett is not any more sensitive to IBUs than brewer's yeast. Is that what you were asking? Brett tends to dry a beer out more which will accentuate bitterness though.

I've had good luck with White Labs Brett C from the 60s into the low 80s. Haven't tried with Wyeast's strain. 68-72 F is safest for Brett.

Probably won't take that long, most of my 100% Brett beers are done in ~2 weeks. As long as the gravity is stable, you are safe.

No need to pitch extra yeast. Brett isn't very flocculent, and it produces carbon dioxide at the same rate as ale yeast.

I was really happy with the way this one turned out: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/02/1st-100-brettanomyces-brew.html Essentially a low gravity saison. Brett C would certainly go well with Amarillo, but that would also cover up a lot of its character. I did a great IPA last summer with Brett Trois, Citra, Centennial, and Chinook.

Back