Quick CO2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I just picked up my #15 tank from the welding supply.

When I hook up my Regulator it reads 500/1000 1000 being full.

Did I get hosed or is the tank super cold and giving the reg a lower number (btw the tank does feel a lot heavier than before)

I remember hearing somewhere that cold can play with the reg reading ....can anyone confirm this?

Cold will cause a lower reading but 500 does seem like a large difference (I get a couple hundred usually). What was the temp when you picked up vs. where you're keeping it now?

Oh and BTW... the cold doesn't actually play with the reg. The gas in the tank compresses at lower temperatures and expands in higher temps. The reg measures at the current temp.

This tank was so cold when I picked it up that I tried repeatadly to wipe off the condensation and in the time it took to go around the tank it was wet again!

You can't tell how much CO2 is in the tank by the pressure gauge until you're on the verge of running out. If it weighs close to 15 lbs heavier than before you had it filled, you got what you paid for - which is liquid product in the tank, not a certain amount of pressure. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it. There should be a tare (empty) weight stamped on the tank.

Your high side gauge will definitely show lower pressure when the tank is cold but it has no bearing on how much is in the tank until the liquid is gone.

You can't tell how much CO2 is in the tank by the pressure gauge until you're on the verge of running out. If it weighs close to 15 lbs heavier than before you had it filled, you got what you paid for - which is liquid product in the tank, not a certain amount of pressure. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it. There should be a tare (empty) weight stamped on the tank.

Your high side gauge will definitely show lower pressure when the tank is cold but it has no bearing on how much is in the tank until the liquid is gone.

Answer to all! Thanks

Latest posts

Back