Quick answer needed! Final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
Okay I am all setup and ready to move to secondary. When Checked my final gravity it was not where it should have been. I am following this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/
The recipe makers OG was 1.064. Mine was 1.050. He says it is supposed to drop down to 1.010 - 1.015 before racking to secondary. Mine is currently at 1.030. Since this Monday the airlock had stopped letting off co2 and there wasn't much activity in the carboy. Did my yeast die early or something and did that mess of my FG? What should I do? Should I just rack to secondary and just accept it?

Please answer asap! my stuff is soaking in starsan still :(. Thanks.

So sorry to waste your time guys :(. I was just thinking about it, and it was 1.000 plus 3 ticks so about 1.007 I think, not 1.030. So I actually overshot it. I guess I will have a higher alcohal content now... Do you think it will be okay? Should I sweeten it more because of this? Thanks.

Haven't made a lot of cider, but i would leave it in primary and try to rouse the yeast and get it down lower. If you are needing the primary fermenter for something else and have to transfer try to move some yeast with it.

Its gonna be HOT!
I wouldnt try to sweeten it, that will just add more fermentables... rack it and let it age a bit

The airlock is NOT a way to measure fermentation, is just a valve that relieves the pressure inside the fermenter.

The airlock is NOT a way to measure fermentation, is just a valve that relieves the pressure inside the fermenter.
Yeah I have read that multiple times around the forums. Not really sure why I threw that in my description :drunk:. Thanks though :)

Back