Questions, Suggestions, Advise for first partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroolingNeoBrewery

Reaction score
I'm planning my first partial mash (BIAB style) I wanted to run the recipe by hbt and ask a couple questions.
I have read the Easy Partial Mash, Easy Stove Top All-Grain threads by DeathBrewer and the BIAB thread by Seven.

Should I do a sparge? I'm not sure this style needs it but this is my first mash will the increased efficiency be helpful?

If after an hour an iodine test reveals poor conversion what should I do?

If my OG is way to low can I just boil some water and dme and add it? Any way to calculate how much to add?

Beer Smith Output: (I converted it from metric for everyone)

Hot Blonde Honey
Blonde Ale

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 4/20/2012
Batch Size: 2.5 Gallons
Boil Size: 2.5 Gallons
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: 10 qt Stainless + 20 qt Aluminum
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0

Ingredients:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs 1.6 oz Golden Light DME (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 34.2 %
10.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.4 %
8.0 oz Maris Otter (4.0 SRM) Grain 15.5 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.30%] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.30%] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 15.5 %
2.0 Gallons Distilled Water
1.0 Gallon Kamloops, BC Water
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile:

Est Original Gravity: 1.040 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 22.1 IBU
Est Color: 4.4 SRM

Mash Profile:

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 1.62 lb
Sparge Water: 8.32 L
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 2.03 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

The easiest way to correct for poor efficiency is to take a pre-boil gravity, then just add DME to the boil to make up the difference if needed (DME gives about 44 gravity pts/lb/gallon). Beersmith should calculate the pre-boil gravity for you. Question though, did you really mean to have your boil volume the same as your batch volume? So you are topping off to account for boil off? You need to set that properly in order to get the correct calculation for pre-boil gravity. Then when adding DME make sure to calculate according to your pre-boil volume.
I've always sparged even with partial mash and I've never done iodine tests just always mash for 60min so I can't provide useful experience there.

Thanks for the info. I normally just start with the batch volume in the boil and top of with refrigerated brewing water. This gets me down to pitching temp without needing to use ice with this size batch. I enter that into beer smith, so i think its accounting for that for me... Will double check, and look for the pre boil gravity in beer smith.

Latest posts

Back