Questions on split batch/using coffee and bourbon wood chips in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberErik

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have my tentative recipe for a bourbon-oak aged coffee stout. However I have a few questions on implementation.

I have a 5 gallon batch and a 3 gallon secondary.

My plan was to:

1. make the 5 gallon batch into primary.
2. when primary is complete, rack 3 gallons to fill my carboy for secondary.

AT THIS STEP add 2 oz of oak chips (they have been soaking in bourbon for 6 months); and add 2 oz of coffee

I have seen recipes that call for 2-4 ounces of oak chips and 4-6 ounces of coffee for 5 gallon batches, so I cut those roughly in half.

3. Bottle the remaining 2-3 gallons of the stout that just finished primary.
4. 7-10 days later, bottle the rest of the batch after aging in the coffee and the oak.

My specific questions are:

1. Is it a bad idea to add the coffee AND the oak into the secondary? Too much going on at the same time?
2. Is 2 oz of oak for a 3 gallon secondary too much? I heard if you use too much it gets too oakey.
3. Is 7-10 days too long for aging in the oak? Again I heard if you do it too long it gets too oakey.
4. How long to condition in the bottles after the oak aging.

I just put 2.5 gallons of ris on oak chips. 1 ounce for 7 days was just starting to get too oakey. I had it kegged and tried it every day. I sanitized it with water in the microwave and dumped the oak juice out before adding.

Great info thanks.

I'm not worried about sanitation because the chips have been aging in bourbon for 6 months they should be ok.

It seems like 1 oz @ 5-7 days should be okay for the oak in secondary but is that enough time for the coffee to mellow?

Maybe I should add the coffee to the primary.

Back