Questions on primary only brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I brew ales, and I've always used a secondary. A typical beer may spend two weeks in the primary, and two more in the secondary before kegging. I cold crash and add gelatin finings during the last few days of the two weeks in the secondary.

I just got a SS Brew Tech Brew Bucket, and I'm hoping to stop using a secondary, at least as much as possible. But I have some questions about that.

1) Once fermentation and diacetyl rest are complete, do I proceed with cold crashing or should I let it sit a while longer in the primary first?

2) I assume I would do any dry hopping or other additions right in the brew bucket, after fermentation is complete, leaving it there for the specified time before cold crashing and kegging?

3) What about beers that take longer? I recently brewed an Altbier that took three weeks to ferment. I then racked it to a secondary for another couple of weeks, cold crashed and kegged it. So that one took six weeks from kettle to keg. Is it ok to leave it that long in the primary?

4) Any other items that I need to be aware of?

I brewed an ESB this weekend, that has been in the brew bucket for a couple of days now. So I need to have a plan for how long to let is sit before cold crashing.

Thanks for your help!

1) Once fermentation is done, you can crash. I personally give it a few days, but that is often because of my schedule too.
2) dry hopping - yes. Other additions, I'm going to say it depends. I don't do any aging in the primary, I move it to vessel with little head space for that.
3) you'll get varying answers for this. I personally wouldn't go for six weeks, but in the grand scheme of things at the homebrewing scale it probably won't hurt.

I just let it go a monthish (sometimes due to my schedule might go a little longer, stouts i'll go 5 or 6 weeks on purpose) no cold crash necessary the trub and yeast are in a nice compact cake and the beer is clear clear clear.

I use Irish moss in the boil but that's it no gelatin or finings.

Primary only is perfectly fine. 3-4 weeks is typical for me. 6 wouldn't be a problem at all. Just crash once you're sure it's done and keg it up. And yes, you would be dry hopping in the bucket after primary dies down. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with using a secondary. I personally think the beer clears better in secondary, but then again so do kegs after they sit long enough in the frige.

Hi,

I brew ales, and I've always used a secondary. ..

Thanks for your help!

It doesn't need to be complicated.

Get beer to FG in primary. Takes as long as it takes but for most ales that will typically be in the 5-14 day range. Now the beer is completely fermented.

Use cold crashing and finings at your discretion in the FV

Then keg it and carbonate it immediately.

Rack from primary to keg
attachment.php

Now you have carbonated beer in a SS, sealed, light impenetrable, CO2 rich environment.

This is the perfect vessel for warm storage, cold conditioning, lagering, cellaring, additional dry hopping and for the addition of flavor adjuncts like coffee etc. when kegging the beer.

Nothing more to do except allow the beer to condition/lager as needed. Some beers are best fresh (IPAs and Hefe are two obvious examples), others like big stouts or lagers can age/lager to reach their full potential over weeks/months as needed at your discretion.

Sampling a kegged beer couldn't be easier of course, letting the brewer know when it's ready.

Primary only Pilsner
1.jpg

Thanks for all the great advice.

One question regarding clarity. Obviously I can't see inside the brew bucket; do you pull a small sample glass prior to kegging, or how do you check it? I occasionally have beers, such as the Altbier I did recently, that may still benefit from a secondary. I'd want to be able to check the clarity prior to kegging.

Gavin C - I really like the photos you posted. I assume you are racking directly into the keg through the liquid line? That's a great idea. I've always racked in through the lid, but your method is obviously better as there is little or no exposure during the transfer. How do you know when your keg is full? I usually come up a little short, but I was a little over my volume target on my current beer, and I believe I have around 5.5 gallons in the fermenter right now.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

I used to use buckets for fermenting after a month or longer was always completely clear no cold crash no finings.

Try it once you'll never go back. Make the same batch divide it in half. Do the 5 to 15 day version with one try the 30 day with the other. You'll taste the difference my bet you'll do 30 day primary after.

I've also added fruit to the primary after the vigorous fermentation slowed down. Then waited the rest of the 30 days. Same deal completely clear wort.

Thanks for all the great advice.

One question regarding clarity. Obviously I can't see inside the brew bucket; do you pull a small sample glass prior to kegging,

No

Gavin C - How do you know when your keg is full?

I keg the beer after FG is reached, any planned rest at warmer temps are complete and the beer is fined. It is then cooled to 31F

The beer is racked to the keg and it is easy to see the level from the condensation on the keg. I make 5.5 gallon batches and fill the keg typically till beer comes out the PRV. No headspace, zero. PRV is closed

Keg is full. Put it on gas and take a sample (usually about 8oz) till you no longer hear the gas bubbling. This means the beer is below the CO2 tube. You want that. This eliminates the possibility of beer in a CO2 line.This is the intended level to fill a keg to.

My timeframes to keg are not arbitrary or predetermined. The time to kegging is determined solely by the yeast not me. (I do help it along in other ways though)

I am fortunate in that I have the ability to control fermentation temperatures precisely which really allows you to optimize the yeast's performance. I always use a starter with liquid yeast (big ones usually) and always rehydrate dry yeast when using dry.

An extreme example was my last brew. My Altbier OG 1.049. FG 1.010

Here it is 1 day after pitching at 56F, fermenting at 58F
attachment.php

Kegged 1 week after pitching the yeast. FG confirmed at 5 days. WLP036 used and fermented at 58F

This is not my typical time-frame but in this instance the beer was done. Waiting 30 days or any arbitrary timeframe for that matter is not needed and certainly not going to be to the benefit of this particular beer. The beer was done and ready to package so it was packaged.

Fermentation profile (all in primary despite the titles)
Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 9.38.05 PM.png

This is what it looked like when I last made it. Kegged at 14 days that time. Turned out great.
attachment.php

Always be skeptical of arbitrary timelines for fermentation. Ask yourself why is this individual recommending that. What is their thought process and is it valid?
(That includes questioning me and my ramblings too of course, I'm no authority)

The speed of the fermentation process is subject to multiple variables. It is possible to control many of these to have them work to the benefit of your beer.

• Large healthy pitch rates
  • Pitch cool
  • Tight control of fermentation
  • Ramp temperature toward the tail end of fermentation
  • Package when FG is confirmed via data and/or clear visual clues or experience
  • Carbonate and condition in keg immediately

Very simple stuff.

I typically ferment in primary up to 14 days, 21 if I'm a little lazy or busy. I used to put everything in secondary, and noticed no difference in clarity when I switched over to single stage. I use Irish Moss in the boil and no cold crash.

I'm not too paranoid when transferring and simply siphon to the keg, close it up, purge the O2 and carbonate under serving pressure.

It's not arbitrary I didn't make it up and it wasn't my idea. I read about on here probably close to a decade ago. There are reasons listed on here somewhere may even have been Palmer or one of the gurus that talked about it. Bottom line don't get blinded by science or numbers. Try it. I have I notice a difference. 5 day beer? That's for college students rushing to make brew.

Beer is like wine and liquor it benefits from aging too. Not just in a keg on the gas either.

Latest posts

Back