questions on mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
So looking to improve on my mash temp consistency. I brewed my first AG beer Sunday. A few kinks to work out, been searching the forums to find answers and keep coming up short.

None the less, I used proper calculations to get my strike temp correct. I had a high grain temp to begin with as it was a hot day. so I calculated I needed a strike temp of around 164. I added my mash water to the grain and it seemed as it was high after plenty of stiring (159ish). I droped in two ice cubes (stirred alot more) to bring it down to 155. Closed the lid. withing about 15 minutes the temp started fluttering between 155-154. by a half hour in it was down to 152. To make a long story short, I added some more warmer water (170ish) to help bring it back up, ended up finshing at 153.

my question is, should i have iced the mash? should i wait longer to see if temp equalizes? I didn't want to pull tannins out of the grain so that is why I tried to balance the temp to 155 as soon as possible. This is one of many questions I have to refine my mash techniques..

I generally add my strike water, check temp, stir to cool a little, then close the lid on the MT. Then I wait about 5-10 minutes, open it again and check the temp. That lets me assume the mash temp has stabilized, which allows me to adjust it appropriately. You should not be worried about extracting tannins at that temperature range. Did you mash-off at 168F? If adding ice helps your process, then so be it, its not going to hurt anything, but you can achieve the same temperature loss with stirring/open lid

I may do things different, but the results are the same. I preheat the MLT with 4.5 gal at 180* while I grind, or ?????? whatever, doughin and stir until I hit mash temp. and add a little water to raise or lower the temp. close the lid and stir again at 30 min. the 2or3 deg drop is normal. Stir again and drain the first runnings slowly (30 min) and the sparge water goes in at 190* (my system) stir like heck let set at 166*- 170* 5min. and drain second runnings into kettle, as fast as you want. Depending on the grain bill (absorption) the strike and sparge water will give me 6.5 or a little more pre boil. You have to get a lot hotter to extract tannins. Even with my sparge going in at 190 the grist when mixed in is 170* or lower. These temps work with my set up, so take notes on yours until you know what to expect from yours. The sparge (mashout) temp. around 168* is the biggy for getting all you can from your grains. Stir for a good 5 min. to get all the sugars into the water and vorlaugh & drain. Enjoy

Back