Questions on 1st D rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Reaction score
So it has been 8 days since I started my Helles Bock. I am going to do a D rest regardless if there is a butter after taste. Most posts indicate that it can't hurt to do one, so I will go ahead and do it. There is still a considerable amount of foamy primary fermentation goodness at the top. Should I take a hydro reading and see where I am at, or is it safe to run the D rest without the reading.

TIA:mug:

There are a few methods for the D rest.

The most common is to just wait til the krausen drops then move the beer.

Another is to start raising the temps a soon as the krausen starts to drop, leaving cloudlets of foam.

I have tried both. They both worked.

Okay my Krausen is no where near from falling, So I guess I will hang out. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Okay my Krausen is no where near from falling, So I guess I will hang out. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Gregory Noonan elaborates on the two most common D rest methods in New Brewing Lager Beer. A good read even for techniques applied to ale brewing.

Latest posts

Back