Questions for Liquor essence users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifton

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try the "Liquor Quik" essences sold by Midwest supplies for some time. I've done lots of reading lately and have decided to go with the Prestige essences sold at Brewhaus.com.

I would like to ferment a sugar wine with Red Star Premier Cuvee at 15% abv to mix with some Red Hots candies to make Cinnamon Liqueur and maybe use a Peach Schnapps essence with this as well.

I also bought a 1.75L of Barton's Vodka for $10.18 to mix up my stronger liquor essences (Whiskey, Tequila, etc.).

I'm wondering if I should purchase the activated carbon to filter my bottom shelf vodka. Is it worth the extra effort. Have you made these products with both filtered and unfiltered vodka and was there a difference after the essences were added?

I've heard of people filtering the vodka and tasting a difference (Mythbusters). I'm not going the Brita route. Just wondering if someone has made two bottles of the same Liquor essence with both filter and unfilter cheap stuff.

Well, I figured since I got no answers I would proceed and work it out myself. I made some invert sugar (3 lbs. for a gallon batch). I added about 2/3 of it to a couple of quarts of water bringing my volume to 3 quarts. I added a pinch of nutrient and energizer and pitched rehydrated Premier Cuvee. When it gets going good I'll add in the rest of the sugar which should give me a gallon of liqueur base. Then I can taste some filtered and unfiltered and see if it makes a difference. I may do the same with my Barton vodka and make two bottles of whiskey with the same essence (one filtered, one not).

For anyone that cares.

My sugar water tipped over and made a huge sticky mess.

I'm still planning on doing a filtered non-filtered vodka whiskey essence trial.

Back