Questions about dry hopping in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
Ok so i dry hopped my last brew in the keg. First time doing this. I made an Irish Red and realized that i really dont like Irish Reds...so i dry hopped with 1.5 oz of Centennial. I now really enjoy the flavor. two questions i have...

1. I have heard that when you over dry hop you will get grassy flavors, but i have also heard of people that just leave in their keg until it kicks...pro/cons to leaving in vice taking out now that flavor is where i want it?

2. I read on here that people had used floss to get their hop bag to not sink. When i tried this i could not get my keg to seal and it was leaking out of the top. Is there a certain floss that you guys are using...I know there is the flat stuff out there now. I ended up just dropping in and if the consensus if to removed i will just fish it out...

thanks for the inputs ahead of time!:mug:

Two days is about right to dry hop. Any longer, good chance of getting grassy.
Don't know anything about floss.

try some teflon tape instead of floss. keep the tape flat against the keg lid gasket and it should seal up nicely.

I learned a lot about dry hopping in kegs from my most recent batch. The biggest lesson, don't just throw pellet hops loose in the keg. I had done this out of frustration that i wasn't getting the desired aroma from my bagged hops, big mistake.

I have 2.5oz of whole leaf cascade in a keg that's on tap right now. I use a long, thin, mesh bag weighed down with marbles. I pulled a thin piece of fabric from the bag (nylon?) almost like pulling a thread on a shirt/sweater. I hang this thread (still attached to the bag) outside the lid. So the bag stays suspended in the keg, doesn't block the dip tube, or just rise to the top.

After about a week it was a bit harsh, but 2 weeks later it's starting to smooth out and has become quite enjoyable. I don't usually do this, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I have 2.5oz of whole leaf cascade in a keg that's on tap right now. I use a long, thin, mesh bag weighed down with marbles. I pulled a thin piece of fabric from the bag (nylon?) almost like pulling a thread on a shirt/sweater. I hang this thread (still attached to the bag) outside the lid. So the bag stays suspended in the keg, doesn't block the dip tube, or just rise to the top.

After about a week it was a bit harsh, but 2 weeks later it's starting to smooth out and has become quite enjoyable. I don't usually do this, but thought I'd give it a shot.

So did you remove the hops then? or leave them in?

try some teflon tape instead of floss. keep the tape flat against the keg lid gasket and it should seal up nicely.

I learned a lot about dry hopping in kegs from my most recent batch. The biggest lesson, don't just throw pellet hops loose in the keg. I had done this out of frustration that i wasn't getting the desired aroma from my bagged hops, big mistake.

Teflon tape might work...
dont worry i put them in a hop bag...that would suck if you just threw them in...first pint would be nothing but hops! how was that BTW?:drunk:

So did you remove the hops then? or leave them in?

Still in there. Leaving them for the duration. Mostly just to see how it tastes over the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a Pliny the Elder clone that I kegged with 1oz each of Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe on 12/5/13. Hops are still in there with no off favors. Sent two beers bottled from that keg on 2/22/14 to a local competition, scored a 44 in the IIPA category. One judge recommend more finishing or dry hops. I wish he could have tried it towards the end of December. :D

You will think you've ruined your beer when you first pour it. Harsh, dank, cloudy, but it will clear and mellow with time. I find mine best from week 3 on.

I now use a stainless cylinder from Arbor? Sorry, on the pad at work so I don't have that info in front of me. Before that, just a hop sack suspended with ribbon style floss. A quick blast of 30 psi sealed with no problem and I leave them in till the keg kicks.

ok then I guess i will just leave them in and hope it all works out. This keg is getting drank for a work thing i have tomorrow and at that time the hops will have been in just over a week.

Keg hops shouldnt get grassy because you're keeping them at serving temps. The lower temp slows extraction. As long as you can kick the keg in 3-4 weeks, you shouldn't get any off flavors.

I dry hop in the keg using dental floss attached to a paint strainer bag with a couple stainless steel bolts. I've never had a problem sealing the lid. Works great. I just use regular cheap dental floss.

I leave it in the keg 4-5 weeks with no grassy flavors. Ive also sank the bag of hops and let it float, not sure if there is a difference or not.

I use the dry hopper from stainless brewing. I find that dry hopping is pretty forgiving as far as aging. I usually let the hops sit in there for 1-2 weeks but I've left them longer without any bad effects. I use a little hook to pull out the hopper from the keg when I figure it's done.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ok so i dry hopped my last brew in the keg. First time doing this. I made an Irish Red and realized that i really dont like Irish Reds...so i dry hopped with 1.5 oz of Centennial. I now really enjoy the flavor. two questions i have...

1. I have heard that when you over dry hop you will get grassy flavors, but i have also heard of people that just leave in their keg until it kicks...pro/cons to leaving in vice taking out now that flavor is where i want it?

2. I read on here that people had used floss to get their hop bag to not sink. When i tried this i could not get my keg to seal and it was leaking out of the top. Is there a certain floss that you guys are using...I know there is the flat stuff out there now. I ended up just dropping in and if the consensus if to removed i will just fish it out...

thanks for the inputs ahead of time!:mug:

I have read this thread to this point. May i offer a suggestion for suspending the hop bag? The silicon tubing that is 1/2 inch ID will push over the nub on the underside of the pressure release on the keg cap. Cut a couple holes in the tubing so as to tie off the hop bag. No more leaks etc....

I have read this thread to this point. May i offer a suggestion for suspending the hop bag? The silicon tubing that is 1/2 inch ID will push over the nub on the underside of the pressure release on the keg cap. Cut a couple holes in the tubing so as to tie off the hop bag. No more leaks etc....

Not a bad idea...will have to try that next time!

Teflon tape might work...
dont worry i put them in a hop bag...that would suck if you just threw them in...first pint would be nothing but hops! how was that BTW?:drunk:

The aroma was amazing. It took a good cold crash and about five beers to clear up, and then nothing but nostril tingling hop aroma.

Latest posts

Back