Question - temp control for frige and freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slarkin712

Reaction score
I have an old refrigerator/freezer that I would like to use for lagering. I am going to hook up a temperature control to the fridge portion. I'm looking at the Johnson Controls A419. I have no problems doing the wiring, so this should not be a problem. My question is this: Can I wire this so that I can still use the built-in thermostat for the freezer portion and keep things frozen?

Thanks
Sean

It depends on the fridge, but in most cases there's only a single compressor for both compartments. Likewise, to get separate temperature control you need to find a way to control the baffles that allow air to flow from the freezer to the fridge.

You should be able to sure. If you understand enough to wire up that thermostat you should be able to bypass the fridge tstat and hook it into that one. On a fridge/freezer the fridge side Tstat does nothing more than open a baffle to the freezer allowing freezer air to cool the fridge. So basically you bypass the fridge stat to be controlled by the 419 and just leave the freezer side alone.

Latest posts

Back