Question(s) about kegs on their sides in a kegerator/keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoDadio

Reaction score
I have seen some truly beautiful kegerator/keezer builds and some ingenious DIY projects here and recently stumbled across images of an upright freezer where the kegs were stored on their sides. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-freeze-has-coils-shelves-my-keezer-build-136786/ Unfortunately, the original poster never commented on the outcome of his project to radically modify the freezer…

This project got me thinking about the possibility of getting a Craigslist fridge and “stacking” additional kegs (aging, quick reloads, or even everyday drinking). Obviously a keg on its side will (at best) give up half of its goodness before a faux blow out, but couldn’t one simply rotate stock and/or rig a shelf at an angle to slow down the rotation schedule? I am thinking along the lines of 2-4 kegs standing on the floor, with 2-3 on their sides high in the fridge, and 1-2 more at the steepest angle possible in between. Heck with a side by side fridge, I bet 6-8 kegs could be stored on their sides in the freezer (not sure how one would alter that thermostat, but certainly someone in this forum has the know-how).

Aside from all of the weight (which could be problem all to itself), what am I missing? There is no chance I have one upped you guys. I am a drinker, not a thinker!

With a small angle and a bent dip tube you could get most of the beer out. Hell I have 1 corny keg where the dip tube is closer to the wall then the center, you'd just have to be mindful of which way they are loaded.

Hi

A normal keg is 23" or a bit more tall. The fittings and hoses can add some to that. Most normal fridges are pretty small front to back. The "junk" in the door takes up a lot of distance.

Bob

Back