Question on upsizing recipes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeediver

Reaction score
I am just about to purchase a full blown Blichmann system for 10 gallon batches. My question is that a lot of beers I would like to make have recipes for 5 gallon batches. To take it to 10, do you just double up on everything in the grain bill? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Barry

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think that just doubling everything works- there is no linear relationship there.. On that note, I use beersmith and with the click of a button, it will scale any recipe to any size.. I love this feature- it was the main reason I spent the $20 for Beersmith... Congrats on the Blichmann system!

I used Pro Mash years ago and it did have that feature but I never paid enough attention to it to tell if it just doubled or what. I now have Beer Alchemy for my mac at home but have not played with it enough to see if that feature was included.

hop utilization may be the biggest non-linear factor, but there are definitely differing opinions.

I have always scaled my grain bills linearly.

I scaled up to 10 gallons about 6 months ago. I simply doubled all my quantities and the results were identical to my 5 gallon batches. The only change I made was my preboil volume since my 1.5 gal/hour boil off remained constant. Once you use your system a couple times you'll get an idea off your boil-off rate.

Back