Question on proof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xplazma

Reaction score
So I made a new batch of alcoholic cherrys and was curious to what my proof is
the alcohol read 97% befor I poured it in but once I mixed the cherrys and the juice that was with it together I'm reading below 0 on my proof meter how do I figure out the new proof on it I don't know how much of the volume the juice took up to math it out I'm sure all the sugar in it is throwing off the reading and the mix still tasts like it's a highish proof

Attachments

• 20220329_185258.jpg
    20220329_185258.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 5
the alcohol read 97%

even a super dupper reflux still, at peak effec will only be able to get 95%....so what are you using to get your alcohol reading?

(you'ld need to employ molecular sieves to dry it to 97%)

if you have a SG hydrometer AND a refractomer there's calculators that will let you figure out how much alcohol it has....

Last edited:
what are you using to get your alcohol reading?

if you have a SG hydrometer AND a refractomer there's calculators that will let you figure out how much alcohol it has....
I used everclear 190 proof it should have read 95% but it read 97% on my meter I'm just going to consider my meter is off by 2% could also be the temp
I'd have to dig out my SG hydrometer from storage that I used for mead but atm what I have with me is a proof and trail hydrometer

Last edited:
ok, the chart says you went from 0.790, to 1.000 then...with out comparing a refrac to a hydro reading, i'm a little at a loss.....

unless there's a way you added 4lbs of sugar? to raise it 1.200...i'm on shaky ground here though....is that a 1 gallon jug? that's what that's based on assuming...

edit: do you have a refractometer handy?

ok, the chart says you went from 0.790, to 1.000 then...with out comparing a refrac to a hydro reading, i'm a little at a loss.....

unless there's a way you added 4lbs of sugar? to raise it 1.200...i'm on shaky ground here though....is that a 1 gallon jug? that's what that's based on assuming...
That's a 3GL jug
I put in 2x 1GL cherrys and the juice and 3L of everclear idk if this image helps

Attachments

• 16485966419728294896240109482045.jpg
    16485966419728294896240109482045.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 16485968684772687953528213340626.jpg
    16485968684772687953528213340626.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 7
So I made a new batch of alcoholic cherrys and was curious to what my proof is
the alcohol read 97% befor I poured it in but once I mixed the cherrys and the juice that was with it together I'm reading below 0 on my proof meter how do I figure out the new proof on it I don't know how much of the volume the juice took up to math it out I'm sure all the sugar in it is throwing off the reading and the mix still tasts like it's a highish proof

Did you adjust for temperature?

figuring 95% for the 3 liters, dilluted to 11 liters...around 9%ABV?

just doing the math.... .95x3=2.85, 2.85/11=0.09? something like that? hope this at least sparks an idea on your end? or solves it ad-hoc somehow?

Would that be assuming it's all liquid or taking into account the cherrys

i'd think they're taking up the liquid, you'd have to strain it...press the pulp for any remaining liquid...and then take a volume measurement? i think?

(i really wish you has a refractometer...)

just doing the math.... .95x3=2.85, 2.85/11=0.09? something like that? hope this at least sparks an idea on your end? or solves it ad-hoc somehow?
i'd think they're taking up the liquid, you'd have to strain it...press the pulp for any remaining liquid...and then take a volume measurement? i think?

(i really wish you has a refractometer...)
So I'm looking at atleast 9% or higher
Unfortunately I don't own a refractometer i never knew I would need one

yes, at this point...take a spoonful, swirl in your mouth! should be a good guess!
Hmm hard to believe that's 9% tasts like it's a much higher proof atleast 45% but it is what it is but then again I did just mix it together and needs to sit for a month

i just looked the cherries up on the USDA nutrient db, it say's the cherries have about 1,200gs of water in each of the jars...so the cherries would themselves contribute about 1 liter per gallon that you added?

i just looked the cherries up on the USDA nutrient db, it say's the cherries have about 1,200gs of water in each of the jars...so the cherries would themselves contribute about 1 liter per gallon that you added?
So that would put me at ~32%?

🤣 you added 3L of 95% everclear to ' something'...you're going to get a buzz....

why do you want to know, may i ask? i'm starting to wonder what nominal precision is on this experiement?
Well what happend was I wasn't paying attention and added 3L instead of 1.75 like I normally do and added more of the juice than I normally do as well which in turn made me question where I was at like did I just make a stronger or weaker batch than my normal ones that and I wanted to know what my proof was when I offer them to coworkers

Well what happend was I wasn't paying attention and added 3L instead of 1.75 like I normally do and added more of the juice than I normally do as well which in turn made me question where I was at like did I just make a stronger or weaker batch than my normal ones that and I wanted to know what my proof was when I offer them to coworkers

well the only way i really know how to do it, is taking a refrac reading, comparing it to the hydro.... other wise, there is the classic gun powder method, just mix up some stump remover, some left over charcoal from smoking meat, and some plant fungicide...then see if it lights in it, that will narrow it down to better or worse then 50%ABV?

well the only way i really know how to do it, is taking a refrac reading, comparing it to the hydro.... other wise, there is the classic gun powder method, just mix up some stump remover, some left over charcoal from smoking meat, and some plant fungicide...then see if it lights in it, that will narrow it down to better or worse then 50%ABV?
So how would the math work for the refractometer and hydrometer

So how would the math work for the refractometer and hydrometer

i don't know the math, i use a calculator that does it for me..but you say your proof hydro is reading 1.000 or 0% ABV, so a refrac would tell you how much alcohol is present because, hydros read lower in ethanol solutions, and refracs read higher? and that comparsion, assuming just a sugar/water/ethanol solution..gives a really good estimate at the ABV....

being i trust your taster, i'm thinking you'd probably get about 28 BRIX on a refrac?

i don't know the math, i use a calculator that does it for me..but you say your proof hydro is reading 1.000 or 0% ABV, so a refrac would tell you how much alcohol is present because, hydros read lower in ethanol solutions, and refracs read higher? and that comparsion, assuming just a sugar/water/ethanol solution..gives a really good estimate at the ABV....

being i trust your taster, i'm thinking you'd probably get about 28 BRIX on a refrac?
Hmm makes sense I might have to pick one up for my other batches and I now know where the brix scale comes into play I usely only used the sp gravity and abv on my other hydrometer

Hmm makes sense I might have to pick one up for my other batches and I now know where the brix scale comes into play I usely only used the sp gravity and abv on my other hydrometer

it has to be light bending bricks! otherwise the trick doesn't work!

I made a 5lb barley 5lb rye 5 gallon water.
Mashed rye at 112 ish 30 min,then added to the barley which was at 155. Added amylase and held temp for 2 hours.
Starch test showed all good.
Og 1.065
Fg1.002
Used 22 grams bakers.
Had a skunky beer smell after 6 days but ran it anyways after 7 days.didnt want smell to get worse. First run through pot
Only got about 35 oz at 40abv.
Did something go wrong. Im Used to sugar washes. They come off at 65abv during the strip and I collect down to 40ish and get 5 to 6 litres. Are all grains that much different?

Any input would be appreciated.
🍻

I made a 5lb barley 5lb rye 5 gallon water.
Mashed rye at 112 ish 30 min,then added to the barley which was at 155. Added amylase and held temp for 2 hours.
Starch test showed all good.
Og 1.065
Fg1.002
Used 22 grams bakers.
Had a skunky beer smell after 6 days but ran it anyways after 7 days.didnt want smell to get worse. First run through pot
Only got about 35 oz at 40abv.
Did something go wrong. Im Used to sugar washes. They come off at 65abv during the strip and I collect down to 40ish and get 5 to 6 litres. Are all grains that much different?

Any input would be appreciated.
🍻
What was your process (in detail) from adding grains to the water to distilling?

Your wash has between 7.48% and 7.75% ABV (depending on formula used) and the liquid volume would be about 5.6 gal (the extra 0.6 gal is from the sugar, proteins, etc. dissolved from the grain.) That would give you 0.42 and 0.43 gal of ethanol to start. You recovered only about (35/128) * 0.4 = 0.11 gal of ethanol from your stripping run. Sounds like you ended the run too soon.

Where do you monitor your temp during distilling, and what were your starting and ending temps?

When you do a sugar wash, what is your recipe?

Brew on :mug:

I monitor temp at top of my pot . I use a recipe for sugar wash that's 4kg of sugar in 23 litres of water. Boil 250 grams wheat bran, multivitamin, dap, and some Epsom. I may have stopped too soon. I was expecting to get the same abv as the sugar wash off the start. I figured the ag should have given me the same,but realize now they are not the same animal. Lol.
I'll be making another on Monday night.
It was my first ag so I didn't know what to expect.

All grain mashes can produce about 76% of their weight as soluble extract, which is about 90% carbohydrates. Not all of the carbohydrates are fermentable - maybe about 90%. So, the amount of fermentable sugar from your 10 lb of grain is about 10 * 0.76 * 0.90 * 0.90 = 5.5 lb vs. 8.8 lb of fermentable sugar for you sugar wash. The presence of grain in the mash may also affect how the distillation proceeds.

You can raise the percentage of the carbohydrates in the mash that are fermentable to near 100% by adding amyloglucosidase enzyme (aka glucoamylase or just gluco) after the mash cools a bit .

Brew on :mug:

Well..... your definitely a math nerd.👍. I'm not sure what those numbers mean,but thanks for clarifying. I figured a pure sugar wash would produce a little more. I guess that's why most guys are mashing and fermenting in barrels and not pails.im on an island but will be heading into town this weekend. Sebstar HT enzyme and some gluco are on my list. I really want to master this so I'll keep plugging away
I appreciate the help and time.
Thanks 🍻

Back