Question on making a wet (fresh) hop ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a large amount of hops still on the vine and I am wanting to make a wet hop/ fresh hop ale. My question is how much time might be too much time from picking the hops and then home brewing with them? I would like to pick on a Saturday afternoon and then brew with them the next day. Is this too much time after picking? If no, how should I store the hops overnight? Lid with a bucket?

Thanks,

Most certainly not too much time. When a commercial brewery does a fresh hop it isn't gonna happen the day they are picked. I know Great Divide in Denver gets them delivered overnight but I doubt they even ship the same day they are picked. I'd guess they are at 2 to 3 days best case.

I have a large amount of hops still on the vine and I am wanting to make a wet hop/ fresh hop ale. My question is how much time might be too much time from picking the hops and then home brewing with them? I would like to pick on a Saturday afternoon and then brew with them the next day. Is this too much time after picking? If no, how should I store the hops overnight? Lid with a bucket?

Thanks,

Mick, you will be fine. Just keep them in the fridge. I did the exact same thing last year and my wet IPA was great.

sidebar...I have an Uncle in N.L. and went to UofI

Brew on! :mug:

Site is being weird tonight....
to add to my last post...
store them loose....not packed in a bag or covered in a bucket...they need to breathe a little.

Latest posts

Back