Question on covering a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Just a real quick question/opinion needed.

I have been creating starters in a pitcher using standard ratios of DME and water. I have been rubber banding a breathable cotton cloth, washed in starsan, across the top to allow it to "breathe" when I give it a whirl every now and the n. Most people just use some tinfoil across the top.

Just covering all bases but this cotton cloth shouldn't be a problem should it? I haven't had problems thus far but wanted to ensure there wasn't anything glaringly wrong with this method.

Thanks for the input!

image-748209318.jpg

That should be perfectly fine.

I personally sanitize a sweet tea jug and place the cap loosely on the top. I tighten the cap when I shake it (I shake the fool out of that thing), then loosen it again when I'm done.

homebrewdad said:
That should be perfectly fine.

I personally sanitize a sweet tea jug and place the cap loosely on the top. I tighten the cap when I shake it (I shake the fool out of that thing), then loosen it again when I'm done.

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the affirmation.

Back