Question on chugger pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc77

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but can't find any results. I see references where chugger/march pumps are used to transfer wort from the MLT to the boil kettle. Then the same pump is used to transfer the wort from the boil kettle to your choice of fermentation vessel.

My question, is this sanitary enough? I know that the wort is boiling so that should remove any nasties in the hose that had been moving the wort from the MLT to the boil kettle. But I've always been thinking that once the boil is done any process used to transfer to the fermentation vessel should be clean and sanitized.

I'd love to add a chugger pump to make things easier in my process so if I can get away with just one and then add a HLT and a second chugger pump down the road that'd be ideal.

I use my pump to transfer from HLT to Mash tun and from Mash tun to kettle and when my boil is done I use a separate sanitized hose from kettle straight to carboy no pump.

+1 - I cover this by whirlpooling with the hops and a long piece of copper with two 90 degree elbows soldiered on. Works great.

The only annoying thing is my pump sometimes starts to whine after running more than 15 min at high temps - I usually recirc with my immersion chiller ... Once the whirlpool is done I just kick on the water to the chiller and leave the pump running - everything is sanitary and that gets the temp down pretty damn quick.

I use a CFC, after boil, pump from kettle to CFC and then to carboy. Anything touching the pump is near boiling so sanitation shouldn't be an issue.

Latest posts

Back