Question on bayou classic sq-14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
I have this model with the 10psi regulator. Does everyone run these things full blast to get it to a boil and then adjust down to keep it rolling? The flames seem to leap around the sides of the keg. Not sure if this is very fuel efficient. What's the consensus on how to run these things?

I usually run mine full blast for a few minutes to get my strike water up to temps, then dial it back as it gets close. When it comes time to boil, I run it full blast until I get my hot break, then I dial it down to keep a nice rolling boil. I have a flat bottomed 15 gallon Kettle, so it might sit a little closer to the flame than a Keggle does, but either way, full blast at first, then dial'er down to keep a nice rolling boil, you shouldn't have to run it full blast all the time.

If you are running it balls-out all the time you need to invest into a windshield, and take some time to play with the o2 mixture (it took me at least two brews to find where my o2 mixture was optimal, and on windy days, even with the windshield, it can be challenging).

Ceck out my wind-shield/guard HERE.

Agreed with what schnitz said....

I like your heat shield as well schnitz. I just used a piece of 6-8" tapered fireplace duct material right around the burner...

Agreed with what schnitz said....

I like your heat shield as well schnitz. I just used a piece of 6-8" tapered fireplace duct material right around the burner...

Thanks, I was looking into the round/ring for the burner, but seemed like it woud be difficult to cut he notch for the burner (?)

Regardless thanks for the comment! :D

Thanks, I was looking into the round/ring for the burner, but seemed like it woud be difficult to cut he notch for the burner (?)

Regardless thanks for the comment! :D

It's easy. Buy a heavy duty aluminum shears from Home Depot and the return it the next day because you don't need it. Wait, what? I wouldn't do that....

Yeah, thanks for the responses. I like your coat hanger to keep the burner level as well. Gonna use that one too!

Back