Question on aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschrodt

Reaction score
This question may seem obvious, But I understand that the yeast does most of the cleaning up in beers and meads. So, If I was to sorbate or pasteurize, my mead, would I gain in benefit from ageing?

aging allows more than just more fermentation to happen. it also allows the flavors to blend in and mellow more.

This question may seem obvious, But I understand that the yeast does most of the cleaning up in beers and meads. So, If I was to sorbate or pasteurize, my mead, would I gain in benefit from ageing?

That yeast "clean up" phases lasts about 24 hours after fermentation is done, so the aging really has nothing to do with the yeast. You want to age the mead off of the yeast anyway, not on it.

Aging is about mellowing and melding flavors, as the "hot" alcohol flavor fades with some age. I don't pasteurize any of my beer/wine/mead/cider. It's not necessary usually, unless you want a sweet sparkling wine/mead/cider.

Obvious ? No. I have no idea what you're actually alluding to, from the point of making, especially to the "cleaning up" thing ?

The yeast is responsible for the reaction of fermentation. The fine yeast sediment then flocculates out to the bottom of the fermenter, that's generally just gravity but sometimes it needs a little help with beer/wine finings as natural clearing can take a while.

The type of yeast chosen will vary the finished ferment as to whats left, flavour-wise and how that will actually change with time.

Pasteurisation? No. It's not jams/jellies or dairy products here. It's alcoholic beverages, which once made, are heat sensitive and easily damaged.

Some think of the process as some sort of magic bullet. It's not. If you heat a batch you can drive off the alcohol, you can change the taste of a batch and yes it will kill off any yeast cells present. If the batch is going to end up carbonated, how in hells name is pasteurisation gonna help ? As you will have killed off the very material that would produce the CO2 necessary for bottle priming and would have to use either methode champenoise or forced carbonation.

Perhaps the OP could expand on what was meant ?

After all, ageing is ageing. So far I don't know of any quick way round that.......

Sorry for the wait, I'm trying to do this while on the clock, hence the impeccable grammar. As far as what I meant by clean up, I was talking about off flavors, hot alcohols, etc.

The reason I was assuming the yeast was necessary for aging, is because in John Palmer's book, he states that filtered or pasteurized beer or wine does not benefit from aging.

So, for not having provided enough info, you all have answered my question quite well!

Back