Question for you keg jumpers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneHands

Reaction score
For those of you that occasionally transfer the contents from one keg to another to help lessen the sediment, do you dump the first few ounces before making the bulk transfer?

This is my plan: I plan on bulk priming in my bottling bucket, filling the first 2-2.5 gallons in bottles, and then putting the rest in a 3 gallon keg to naturally carb. Planning on using a spunding/bleeder valve to make sure I don't overcarb. Once carbed, chill and then jump to a clean 3 gallon keg. This keg is probably going to get moved occasionally, so I wanted it as clear as possible. Is it worth it to dump the first few ounces before I transfer, or will it make minimal difference?

The first few pints will probably have some yeast/trub, after which the area around the dip tube will clear out. Dumping that will maximize the clarity in the second keg, but even if you do not you will leave some of the yeast/trub behind.

I bought a keg that had some bad pitting on the end of the dip tube. I cut it off (about 1 3/4 inches). I rack into this keg, cold crash w/gelatin and then transfer to another keg. I don't have to pour off the first pint or two and it picks ups all but about 20 oz. Hopefully I'm leaving the gelatin behind. I call it my Brite Tank.

Meh - Just transfer it.
That little bit of sediment will transfer into the keg, and settle.

Your first pint might be a bit cloudy, but after that it's not bad.

Meh - Just transfer it.
That little bit of sediment will transfer into the keg, and settle.

Your first pint might be a bit cloudy, but after that it's not bad.

What if you want/need to move the keg?

Thats why I run it clear, no worries should I ever need to move it to a party, etc.

Back