Question for you Fermcap-S Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I've been using Fermcap to control my foaming/boilovers when I create starters and during my boil.

I've read a few things online in regards to people using it to control the amount of krausen that forms during fermentation. Anyone using it specifically for this purpose? If I added Fermcap to my boil, do I also need to add it to my fermenter to control the krausen? If so, is it sanitary to just add it? Or does the fermcap in the boil take care of the krausen during fermentation?

I've been using Fermcap to control my foaming/boilovers when I create starters and during my boil.

I've read a few things online in regards to people using it to control the amount of krausen that forms during fermentation. Anyone using it specifically for this purpose? If I added Fermcap to my boil, do I also need to add it to my fermenter to control the krausen? If so, is it sanitary to just add it? Or does the fermcap in the boil take care of the krausen during fermentation?

Fermcap is designed to drop out of suspension like yeast. when you chill your boil it will (more than likely) get left behind. You can just add it (2 drops per gallon) to your fementer when you pitch. I started using it when I started using starters. Blowoff tubes are great for controlling the mess but I dont wanna lose so much yeast in the Krausen that goes with it. I love it. :ban:

you don't need it. But you also don't need to do a lot of things. If you have high activity or low headspace, Use it.

-EDIT-

I have never used it for boil overs. only for controlling fermentation.

Good question....I haven't typically noticed that the beers I added it to during the boil ever needed me to add more during fermentation. I don't know if it is because it didn't need any or it wasn't a very active fermentation anyway.

My though is, if you've added it to the boil, then don't worry about it unless you see that you actually need it.

As long as I have ~2 gallons of headspace in my kettle, I don't use any fermcap. Less than that, I add 1-3 drops per gallon in the kettle. IF I also don't have much headspace in the fermenter, I add about 2 drops per gallon there, to control how much goes through the blowoff tube.

Having it as an OPTION is great. There are some yeast strains that seem to need it more than others, which you learn pretty quickly.

I have used it when boiling starters - one drop and the foam disappears. I have also used it in my wort - a few drops stops the foam. I used it when pitching in my last brew and it still blew... but I did fill the BB to within 1 1/2 inch from the neck, so I expected it. Maybe if I waited until the fermentation active??

I thought I'd report out on my original question....I used it in the boil and DID NOT use it in the fermenter. Normally, I need to use a blowoff tube for every beer I do. I make starters about 24 hours prior to pitching and pitch the whole starter, and I always get a lot of krausen and need blowoff everytime. Well, this time, no blowoff! I kept an eye on the fermentation pretty close for the first 36 hours and I've got no krausen coming up through the airlocks.

SO - I would be led to believe that if you use it in your boil, you don't have to use it in your fermenter. Although, I suppose it really matters how much you drain your boil kettle. I use a suspended hop sack type of apparatus and am able to suck my kettle dry...so I'm assuming the fermcap is coming along into the fermenter.

Well, here's what happens if you don't add it to your RIS fermenter!

RISoverflow2.jpg

Yee Ha!

thisone said:
it doesn't. once active fermentation stops (and it's no longer suspended), it drops and it's like it was never there

Excellent. I've been chasing head retention issues down and was worried it might. Thanks for the info.

I have a batch in keg now (waiting for another keg to kick so that I can connect it to the faucet) that I didn't use any fermcap in (at any point). That will give me a good gauge if it effects head retention. Especially since I've been drinking brews that I did use it in (at least at one point in the process). I have another batch that's slated for kegs at the end of the month (if it's ready). That one got 2 drops per gallon in fermenter added. I'm probably going to not use it in the batch being brewed this weekend too. Mostly because I'll have enough head space in the fermenter (~6 gallons going into a 7.75 gallon tall pony keg)... Plus I've found that ~8 gallons in the kettle won't boil over on me (10 gallon Blichmann).

When I was using the 8 gallon kettle, fermcap was almost critical. Now, not so much. I'll have a spray bottle with water in it this time (going to condition my grains before crushing them), so I could use that method to tame the foamy beast...

Good question....I haven't typically noticed that the beers I added it to during the boil ever needed me to add more during fermentation. I don't know if it is because it didn't need any or it wasn't a very active fermentation anyway.

I use it in my kettle during boil and it helps a ton with my direct fire kettle. I have noticed though that on say an IPA or other high gravity beer if I put a bit in the fermenter it keeps the krausen from coming up the spray ball and down into my blow off bucket.

Here is a fun pic of our IPA without fermcap! The very next batch of the same beer I used it and there was nothing in my bucket.

278327_2248960951364_1468420387_32627862_41955_o.jpg

I assume too the amount of yeast you pitch will have an effect too

I use it in my kettle during boil and it helps a ton with my direct fire kettle. I have noticed though that on say an IPA or other high gravity beer if I put a bit in the fermenter it keeps the krausen from coming up the spray ball and down into my blow off bucket.

Here is a fun pic of our IPA without fermcap! The very next batch of the same beer I used it and there was nothing in my bucket.

278327_2248960951364_1468420387_32627862_41955_o.jpg

I assume too the amount of yeast you pitch will have an effect too

WOW!! Completely cool pic...thanks for sharing!!

Back