Question for SS Brew Bucket users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskewl

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying all of my brewing equipment. I don't have an endless budget, but prefer to buy once and not dreaming to upgrade to something better. I have been reading up on the SS Brew Bucket and it really isn't much more expensive than buying 2 carboys, a carboy cleaner, auto siphon, etc.

Anyway my big question is do most of you rack to a secondary or do you do an extended fermentation in the brew bucket? I enjoy bigger beers which take longer to ferment.

I don't feel the love for the SS Brew Bucket over the standard 8 gal HDPE bucket fermenters, but that's just one opinion. I know many people love them, and they are very aesthetically pleasing!!! So if that pleases you go for it. While I have never used the SS Brew Bucket, it doesn't appear ideal for long term aging.

Are you kegging or bottling?

I ferment and transfer to kegs, never rack to a secondary fermenter. Kegging can be similar to doing a secondary as you can bulk age and condition at warmer temps prior to chilling and serving, replacing the use of a carboy.

...do most of you rack to a secondary or do you do an extended fermentation in the brew bucket?

Here's my kick to the dead 'secondary' horse debate: the "extent" of any fermentation depends upon when it's done --- when FG is reached --- after which, leaving the beer longer in it's fermentation vessel, while technically it is no longer "fermenting", can certainly be beneficial to allowing the beer to clean up off flavors, clear, etc.. All in a single vessel. If you prefer to do anything procedurally in a second post-ferm vessel, it's entirely your choice. I have racked to a post-ferm vessel strictly for the purpose of super-clearing the beer, but some would argue that it's not worth the risk of oxidation, contamination, etc. just to do this. I've never had a problem and end up with bottled beer that defies even the smallest speck of yeast in it.

I plan to do both. I have 1 pin lock corny and a kegerator already. I may bottle some beers that require extended bottle conditioning such as Stouts or wee heavyset. I don't really have anywhere to keep many cornys. My kegerator holds 2, and vissani ferm chamber will only hold one(I think). Can you keg condition at room temps? If so I may need to pick up another corny or 2

I will agree with GHBWNY that is really your preference to whether you want it to sit on the cake or not.

As far as the bucket, i have one with the FTS and love the thing. I use it for my IPAs and I dont usually transfer. I will primary in it and reach my final gravity, dry hop for a week or two and then cold crash using the FTS. The racking arm is great for transfering as it is rotatable and you can move the arm up or down to the top of the sediment and pull clean beer.

SSBrewTech_BrewBucket_FTS_Assembled_Powered.jpg

I am in the process of buying all of my brewing equipment. I don't have an endless budget, but prefer to buy once and not dreaming to upgrade to something better. I have been reading up on the SS Brew Bucket and it really isn't much more expensive than buying 2 carboys, a carboy cleaner, auto siphon, etc.

Anyway my big question is do most of you rack to a secondary or do you do an extended fermentation in the brew bucket? I enjoy bigger beers which take longer to ferment.

Here's another opinion on a fermentor that I don't own and have never used.

I don't see the benefit to me or my beer in using a bucket-shaped fermentor with a spigot I need to clean and keep clean as it sits in my non-sanitized fermentation chamber.

I see it as an upgrade you may never feel the need to make. I never use a secondary vessel so the longterm aging issue for me is not there. Buckets regardless of material are not very suitable for this owing to the large headspace and beer/headspace interface, surface area.

I don't want a spigot on a fermentor, racking to keg is easy.

Yes you can bulk age in a keg at room temperature if you wish. It is the ideal vessel for this. Impenetrable to light and air, beer can be force carbonated or naturally carbonated while it ages. No downside really.

Given the choice I would get multiple kegs over a SS bucket anyday.

I use glass carboys as fermentation vessels. (they have there own set of disadvantages). I like to see what's going on for a number of reasons. I also like this product for racking. A great tool.

Sterile syphon starter. works great with carboys if you end up going that route.
SterileSiphonStarter2.jpg

Hey Joe - With the spigot that low to the floor, how do you transfer? I looked at these and had some questions. One, transferring, two - what are the ferm temp ranges on the temp control? Lowest temp you can consistantly get?

I love that I can keg a beer in like 10 minutes with my brew bucket. No worrying about sanitizing an autosiphon and transferring, just attach a hose and drain it into my keg. So simple.

Conical of any sort are great for dropping/harvesting yeast and minimizing the need for a secondary device for secondary fermentation.

It's all a matter of choice for the brewer. Conical, plastic or SS, buckets, carboys. All make great beer with great cleaning and sanitation practices.

IMO...the vessel doesn't matter as much as the controlling of the ferment temps. Invest in this then upgrade.

I love that I can keg a beer in like 10 minutes with my brew bucket. No worrying about sanitizing an autosiphon and transferring, just attach a hose and drain it into my keg. So simple.

That does sound super simple for sure. Do you have any difficulty in avoiding transfer of trub? Is it easy to turn the spigot to where you want it?

That does sound super simple for sure. Do you have any difficulty in avoiding transfer of trub? Is it easy to turn the spigot to where you want it?

The spigot is hand tight but not too tight so you are able to move it. When I ferment the beer, I have the spigot turned upside down so no trub can get clogged in the tube. When I am ready to transfer to the keg, turn it back to normal and open it up!

The spigot is hand tight but not too tight so you are able to move it. When I ferment the beer, I have the spigot turned upside down so no trub can get clogged in the tube. When I am ready to transfer to the keg, turn it back to normal and open it up!

Cool. Thanks. I'd really like to try one. I'm just not sure it's worth getting one to satisfy my curiosity.

One more question and I'll not hijack the thread anymore. What measures, if any, do you take to keep the outside barb clean as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Cool. Thanks. I'd really like to try one. I'm just not sure it's worth getting one to satisfy my curiosity.

One more question and I'll not hijack the thread anymore. What measures, if any, do you take to keep the outside barb clean as possible?

Thanks in advance.

I have a spray bottle full of starsan, and give the barb a good soaking a few times.

I love my SS brewbucket! Really easy to clean and transfering into a keg or bottling bucket at the end of fermentation is nice.

I switched from a FastFerment to a SS BrewBucket and couldn't be happier! I normally don't do a secondary transfer since the surface area exposed to the trub is smaller in a conical and only keep it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks. If I was going to let a beer sit for 4+ weeks, I'd consider transferring to a secondary vessel. The spigot on the bottom makes sampling and draining a snap, plus you can rotate it to reduce the trub is sucks in. It's also much easier to clean that the carboys or FastFerment I've used.

Add me to the list of happy campers who own a SS brew bucket with the FTS option. I went this route as I need to keep my brew hardware footprint as small and portable as possible.

How heavy are the brew buckets? I ferment in a cool brewing cooler and would have to pick it up from there and place it on a table or such for bottling/transferring.

They're light weight...no problem moving them full.

I have two and do like them too. The valve is lame and the gaskets suck but they're easy to clean, sample, dry-hop, aerate, harvest yeast (if you're into that) rack off, move around and store.

I'm thinking about getting two of the 3 gallon versions to expand capacity actually. They stack right up.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Right now I have glass carboys and want to get away from those. The gaskets suck? It ferments well and is clean right? Is the brewmaster bucket worth it? Where did everyone get theirs from?

How heavy are the brew buckets? I ferment in a cool brewing cooler and would have to pick it up from there and place it on a table or such for bottling/transferring.

I use the cool brewing as well and it really doesn't feel much different from a plastic bucket. I have to lift onto my counter top and have no issues. Not sure of exact weight but the handles on each side make it super easy.

12144237_1666645203620557_361061090_n.jpg

I have buckets, carboys, they all sit empty, as all my brewing waits until the SS Brew Bucket is empty and ready for the next batch.

Cleaning, transferring, everything is just simpler and nicer.

I do all my secondary in kegs.

(Disclaimer/Bragging - I didn't pay for my SS Bucket, I won it on a HBT Giveaway. I honestly probably would have never bought it, but in hindsight, should have been one of the first things I upgraded to.)

Pretty sure I will be picking one up before my next brew day. Just need to find out where I want to get it at :) Think I will just get the standard. $25 for a thermowell and digital therm when I can just put a therm sticker on. Yeah. lol

Some thoughts on fermenters.
1. The conical bottom should be a 60 degree angle from the top cylinder.
This information came from the UC Davis Brewing School plus my own research.
2. You should remover dead yeast every other day or so. The other option is remove the wort from the dead yeast. This sounds risky to me. Why expose the wort when you can drain the dead yeast off the bottom?
3. If you want to age your beer why not transfer to a bright beer tank as there will always be some yeast left in the fermenter. There will probably be some in suspension but not enough to worry about.
4. Open fermentations works best in my opinion. A closed system puts pressure on the yeast. Our tanks are open and they work great at least for the last 18 years. For the bad guys to invade they must go up over and down into the wort all the while the co2 is pushing against them in the opposite direction. We do sell a sealing gasket for those died hards that say one must seal their tanks.
John S. Thomas
Hobby Beverage Equipment
www.minibrew.com

They are great items. I used the chronical when it came out (currently gathering dust since upgrading..lol).

One thing to note before you use it the first time..wash it out thoroughly and the wash it again. Once you've washed it with your favorite cleaning solution use a caustic type cleaner like Bar Keepers Friend and let it air dry a few days to establish. Then sanitize the day of brewing and g2g.

But don't be surprised with the black ring on the sides after fermenting. Doesn't affect the product at all.

You won't have to replace the ssbrewtech. You will have to replace plastic at some point. I rarely transfer to a secondary and don't think it's necessary unless I'm putting something in a barrel or for a lager. You can add temp control down the line as well. I have a few of them and I love em

Are there problems with the gaskets not sealing adequately? Or is it just that you're not a fan of a gasket inside a fermentor?

No, they seal well, but you have to replace them. Being tied to brewtech for the life of these fermenters is a bummer. The lid gasket isn't as bad as the ones on that cheap little valve - those go quick.

All my comments on these are without a comparison though because I started with them - so weight them as you see fit.

No, they seal well, but you have to replace them. Being tied to brewtech for the life of these fermenters is a bummer. The lid gasket isn't as bad as the ones on that cheap little valve - those go quick.

All my comments on these are without a comparison though because I started with them - so weight them as you see fit.

Good info. Thanks

Some thoughts on fermenters.
1. The conical bottom should be a 60 degree angle from the top cylinder.
This information came from the UC Davis Brewing School plus my own research.
2. You should remover dead yeast every other day or so. The other option is remove the wort from the dead yeast. This sounds risky to me. Why expose the wort when you can drain the dead yeast off the bottom?
3. If you want to age your beer why not transfer to a bright beer tank as there will always be some yeast left in the fermenter. There will probably be some in suspension but not enough to worry about.
4. Open fermentations works best in my opinion. A closed system puts pressure on the yeast. Our tanks are open and they work great at least for the last 18 years. For the bad guys to invade they must go up over and down into the wort all the while the co2 is pushing against them in the opposite direction. We do sell a sealing gasket for those died hards that say one must seal their tanks.
John S. Thomas
Hobby Beverage Equipment
www.minibrew.com

I bought two of the buckets (no temp control, I already have a ferm chamber) this summer. I love them. I still have several ale pails that are basically now becoming bulk grain storage buckets and the buckets I grind my grain into. Yes, I love them, they clean up really well, but you have to realize this. They are not necessarily true 'conicals' but the bottom does a nice job of collecting the yeast and preventing much fermentor loss.

Question. Where do you get this information?
I have no problem with point 1. the angle is what is required for gravity to move the yeast off the walls and prevent it from sticking.
My questions come in here

This is old, old information. There is zero need for a homebrewer to remove the yeast from the bottom of their fermentor. Especially while fermenting and if they pitch healthy yeast. Most of the information out there advocating removal of yeast is very dated, actually from the days of questionable yeast health, using baking yeast, etc. If you are pitching an adequate amount of healthy yeast you can leave the beer on the yeast cake for months (I have done it, even with very light blondes and cream ales) without and issue or off flavors.

Additionally, if sitting on yeast is a bad thing, how do you explain wheat beers, wits, etc?

True, with prolonged aging beer, you want to separate the beer from the yeast. You do not need a bright tank necessarily. You could use a carboy (if you are transferring to secondary you want minimal headspace to prevent oxidation. Or you could leave it in the primary for a little while. You could also just package and let it 'condition' in the bottle or keg. Secondaries aren't really necessary unless you are souring, adding fruit or wood, etc. Yeast makes beer, its not a foe to be fought.

At least you state this is your opinion. Open fermentation is one animal, probably frightening and intimidating to newer brewers, especially those who have seen how much we all as a community stress sanitation. Closed homebrew scale systems do not really put all that much pressure on your beer/yeast. Heck, there are homebrewers who prefer to ferment under pressure and believe it makes good beer. Take a look at this monster of a thread.
Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
Your standard blowoff tube, s-shaped or 3 piece airlock is not really going to increase pressure on your fermenting beer any. Pressure is mainly a concern in larger scale commercial brewing systems as tens of feet of fermentor height will increase pressure by itself (and they usually use blowoff tubes as well).

My intent in this response is not to attack you personally, I just am strongly against the misinformation that just seems to not want to die about 'yeast autolysis' happening if your homebrewed beer is left on the yeast cake for more than 1 week and yeast being bad.

TL : DR - Yes I reccomend them. No, you do not need to worry so much about leaving beer on the yeast.

I noticed a large improvement in the flavor of my beers once going from carboys to conicals and dumping the dead yeast.... I often noticed a slight metallic flavor in my carboy beers which isnt there with the conicals... if its not caused by the dead yeast sitting in the carboy then what? I took advice often repeated here that racking to a secondary wasnt needed.
Im not really big on spending large amounts of money on things unless I notice they really make an improvement an I have 4 temp controlled conicals now...

I noticed a large improvement in the flavor of my beers once going from carboys to conicals and dumping the dead yeast.... I often noticed a slight metallic flavor in my carboy beers which isnt there with the conicals... if its not caused by the dead yeast sitting in the carboy then what? I took advice often repeated here that racking to a secondary wasnt needed.
Im not really big on spending large amounts of money on things unless I notice they really make an improvement an I have 4 temp controlled conicals now...

Well, Metallic as an off flavor is not usually associated with yeast.

see:
http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/is-my-beer-ruined/common-off-flavors said:
Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

Yeast autolysis is usually attributed as giving meaty, yeasty, soapy, and excessively estery flavors.

Didn't realize this thread was still alive :0

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!

Why have you had to replace the lid gaskets? I've probably used them for 20 batches and I haven't seen a need to replace them. One got stained in one of my first batches but it hasn't been a problem.

I've replaced the o-rings but I just bought a supply from http://www.theoringstore.com/ I bought them valve ones a little bigger and they seal a lot easier.

Back