Question for plumbers - removing scale from pipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
The flow of hot water in our upstairs bathroom has decreased slowly, but noticeably, but the cold water flow seems fine. The pipes going upstairs are galvanized, while the pipes downstairs are copper (and there's no issue with flow). This leads me to believe that scale has built up in the galvanized hot water line.

Is there any way to clean this out a little, or is replacement the only option?

The flow of hot water in our upstairs bathroom has decreased slowly, but noticeably, but the cold water flow seems fine. The pipes going upstairs are galvanized, while the pipes downstairs are copper (and there's no issue with flow). This leads me to believe that scale has built up in the galvanized hot water line.

Is there any way to clean this out a little, or is replacement the only option?

There are lots of Gimmicky gadgets out there that plumbing supplies swear by for "Only $300". But replacement is the only guranteed option. Are you certain it's a decrease in the inside diamter of the pipe or have you checked valves for build up inside?

Example: I have to clean scale out of the sediment screen of my washing machine every 6 months or else it goes from filling a High Load in 10 minutes to 20-25 minutes.

Same for my dishwasher too.

As for the showers, I take apart and clean the shower heads and mixing valves as needed or annually (whichever comes first) to keep everything flowing properly.

I'm not a plumber, but based on what I saw in my house (built in 1925) before I replaced my plumbing, is that you probably aren't going to find anyplace convenient in your water lines to break into it and clean it out. Even if you did, with that old galvanized pipe, I would guess that there's a good chance that you will do more damage to the piping in the process of trying to repair it.

With that said, I can also tell you that if you have access to the plumbing, then it's not really all that hard to replace it. If not, I know that a lot of plumbers have some pretty cool tricks to avoid breaking into walls. It would be worth your time to ask around and see if anyone knows a guy who would be willing to work for cash so you can avoid the massive expenses involved in hiring a whole company. It might be less than you think it is.

You get a similar problem with heating systems where the iron radiators corrode. You can buy a scale remover, but what you find is that after a few years the corrosion makes up a fairly large amount of the radiator! The scale remover goes to work and suddenly everything leaks.

plumber here...the stoppage may just be in the nipple that comes out of the wall or in the adapter or valve under the sink.
turn off the water and pull the valve off and look for crap build up,you can use a stiff wire to try and loosen up the stuff in the nipple.
have someone turn the water on for a second or two while you hold a bucket to catch the crap....you might just get lucky and open it enough

Latest posts

Back