Question about www.homebrewing.org 9 gal kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hi I just bought one of these on the cyber Monday sale for 59.99
9 Gallon Stainless Steel Pot with Two Welds - 9 Gallon Brew Pot
I just got it today and am very impressed with the thickness. It is much heavier than I imagined. It's much thicker than my turkey fryer stainless 7.5 gal pot. But there is a little problem, where the welds are for the 1/2" ports on the side, it is very porous on the inside. It looks like when it was welded they used almost no filler material. So the weld penetrated the inside enough that they needed to grind the inside to smooth the weld out. But this left crevices where nasties can hide. Also the bottom was welded onto the Sides to make the pot and there are a couple more crevices there too( it was also ground down ) I know it says not to expect a $200 pot, and there might be some dents which I'm fine with. But is this acceptable as a brew pot? I know I'm boiling with it but if junk gets dried in the holes I'm sure something could get contaminated, or am I over thinking this? I can't take pics right now but the holes are deep enough to get your nail cought in if you run your finger over the inside. Am I asking for too much quality out of a $60 pot? Or do you think they were selling second quality pots for the cyber Monday sale?

just use a scrub brush to clean it.remember your boiling in it,even if it did have hidden matter in it,once it's been boiled the bugs are dead.

you got a hell of a pot for 60 beans.

Latest posts

Back