Question about which extract to use....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop_Hero

Reaction score
I am going to brew 65-65-65-6.5 India Pale Ale from Charlie Papazian's Microbrewed Adventures. The recipe calls for 8.25lbs of light malt extract syrup. All I've been able to find at morebeer.com is ultralight malt extract and pale malt extract. I'm a fairly new brewer (this is my fourth batch) but which should I go with? I'm thinking pale because it's a ipa but not 100% positive.

Here's the recipe for reference:
65-65-65-6.5 India Pale Ale
OG 1.065
FG 1.014
IBU: 65
COLOR: 7 SRM
ALCOHOL: 6.5% BY VOLUME

8.25 lbs light malt extract syrup
1.25 bls crystal malt (15-L)
1 oz Warrior @ 16%
1 oz Amarillo @ 8%
3/4 oz Simcoe @ 12%
All boiling hops are added as a blend in incrementally designated amounts over a period of 65 minutes @ 5 minute intervals
5g each warrior, amarillo, and simcoe hope pellets for dry hopping
1/4 tsp powdered Irish moss
white California ale yeast WLP001 or Wyeast Irish ale 1084

I'd go with the pale for an IPA.

I'm ordering ingredients for an all grain IPA using Maris Otter Pale malt as a base.

Nice! This should be my last extract before I purchase my all-grain equipment. I'm going to try to convert an igloo cooler myself. We'll see how it goes!

I would recommend using EXTRA LIGHT DME... It's the best option for IPAs.

Not Amber LME/DME, or Light LME/DME, etc.

I use a mix of plain light DME & a can of Cooper's OS draught as a base for my IPA with 6oz of hops. I get a nice amber orange color.

It really depends on what you want. Pale and light LME are pretty similar, extra light will be a little lighter and possibly a touch more fermentable. If you want a really dry beer, do the extra, or try a blend of the two. Also, I would recommend using at least some DME in leu of some of the LME as it can be much more fermentable. YMMV. :mug:

Buying LME in non-6 or 3.15lb increments is kind of a pain. I would go with all DME or 6lb LME and the rest DME.

Personally I would add hops at 60m then hold off on the rest until 20m or later. That isn't the recipe though.

None of this probably answers any of your questions.

So I finally went to the Homebrew store and picked up what I needed.

I got 6 lbs Light LME and 3Lbs light DME. So I'll do two pounds of the dme instead of all LME like you guys suggested. My homebrew shop is out of Simcoe hops and will be for at least 6 months so i substituted that with Sorachi Ace and adjusted for the different AA. This shouldn't be that big of a difference since the hops are all mixed together anyways....

I was thinking about adding Cascade also but not sure.

So I finally went to the Homebrew store and picked up what I needed.

I got 6 lbs Light LME and 3Lbs light DME. So I'll do two pounds of the dme instead of all LME like you guys suggested. My homebrew shop is out of Simcoe hops and will be for at least 6 months so i substituted that with Sorachi Ace and adjusted for the different AA. This shouldn't be that big of a difference since the hops are all mixed together anyways....

I was thinking about adding Cascade also but not sure.

Yeah, Simcoes are a hot commodity these days. If you like 'em, I'd recommend picking up what you think you'll need to stock up after this year's harvest. You could also try online at a place like Freshhops.com, they tend to have some of the things the stores don't. Also, cascades are always a good hop choice for IPA, nice and citrus-y.

Latest posts

Back