Question about racking to keg then bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21jason21

Reaction score
I have been kegging beer for years because of the labor involved with bottling. It was not until recently that I got curious about conditioning in a bottle and conditioning in a keg and seeing if there was a flavor difference so I bottled a few flip tops from a 5 gal batch. I bottled using my faucet on my keezer right after I cold crashed it. I dropped a carb drop in a bottle and used the perlick right off my keezer to fill the bottle. It was easy and seemed to be very clean. I am getting ready to brew a Trappist 8 clone and I am going to cellar it for 6 months. Could I not pressure transfer to a keg with the bottle priming solution in it already, shake it up and use my keezer with perlick faucet to fill the bottles? I don’t own a Beer gun or anything like that, but that is for already carbed beer anyway. I worried about oxidizing the beer but the contact with o2 should be negligible. Does anyone see an issue with this? I would think you would have the same o2 exposure with a bottling bucket and bottling wand? The keg and keezer route seems cleaner and quicker. Would anything make the process better? Thanks !

I did something similar with a stout I bottled recently. I used a corny keg as my second fermenter then transferred that to a empty keg filled with priming sugar and champagne yeast. I then just set the keg at 1-2 psi and used a counter pressure bottler to fill the bottles from that keg. I would recommend attaching a hose to your perlick if possible to reach the bottom of the bottles, that way you fill them from the bottom to the top. Maybe purge the bottles before if you can do that too.

Back