Question about "mash-out"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for a 10 minute mash-out at 170 degrees and it takes 20 minutes to get from 152 to 170, do you then start the 10 minute mash-out countdown once it reaches 170? Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't 30 minutes before sparging too long?

The purpose of a mash out is to denature enzymes and (more or less) lock in the fermentability profile of the wort. If it takes your system a long time to reach your mash out temp, you are effectively extending your mash length. Some enzymes are, of course being denatured during that ramp up, but some are also continuing to work.

If I were using a HERMS/RIMS system, I would try to get a feel for the above, and adjust accordingly, probably by starting the temp rise sooner than I would with an infusion mash (where the temp change is almost instantaneous).

What kind of sparge are you doing?

I use
The purpose of a mash out is to denature enzymes and (more or less) lock in the fermentability profile of the wort. If it takes your system a long time to reach your mash out temp, you are effectively extending your mash length. Some enzymes are, of course being denatured during that ramp up, but some are also continuing to work.

If I were using a HERMS/RIMS system, I would try to get a feel for the above, and adjust accordingly, probably by starting the temp rise sooner than I would with an infusion mash (where the temp change is almost instantaneous).

What kind of sparge are you doing?
I use an Anvil Foundry which calls for a 1 gallon sparge. I heat the sparge water to 170 degrees. So, you would say to dial-up the Foundry temp to 170 at about 45 minutes in the mash? Or, just forget about mash-out altogether?

I use an Anvil Foundry which calls for a 1 gallon sparge. I heat the sparge water to 170 degrees.

Ok, so I assume that means "raise the basket and pour sparge water over the grains," i.e. a quasi-fly sparge.

So, you would say to dial-up the Foundry temp to 170 at about 45 minutes in the mash?

That might be a good place to start. Or maybe 50 minutes. When you see your beer's final attenuation, you could dial in from there. Or perhaps other foundry/brew-in-a-basket users will chime in.

Personally, I'm not a fan of HERMS/RIMS for the very reason that you can't really replicate infusion mash schedules.

Latest posts

Back