Question about making two beers from one mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willum

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a 2.5 gallon barley wine and 5 gallon pale ale or IPA from the same mash. Has anyone done something similar and know how I would calculate the estimate gravity of both?

Partigyle: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Parti-gyle

Assume 2/3 sugar first runnings, 1/2 second runnings. You can always swap volumes between the runnings until you get them where you want them.

My homebrew club did a partigyle with 2 mashtuns and kept the first runnings of each for a beer and combined the second runnings for a third beer. Then we did a sour mash with the spent grain for 2 bonus beers. It was on the Basic Brewing Radio Partigyles Gone Wiled podcast. There are spreadsheets out there to help.

You might find my partigyle thread helpful, it is sort of a real time snapshot of me going from not knowing how to do one to being able to make beersmith do headstands and do it for me. I think it's one of the clearest, least hardcore technical threads about it.

Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!

Especially since it is about doing 2- 2.5 gallon batces.

You might find my partigyle thread helpful, it is sort of a real time snapshot of me going from not knowing how to do one to being able to make beersmith do headstands and do it for me. I think it's one of the clearest, least hardcore technical threads about it.

Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!

Especially since it is about doing 2- 2.5 gallon batces.

I actually read your thread the other day. Your thread and Designing Great Beers gave me the idea/desire to give this a try. I was just confused on how to do the math for one 2.5 gallon and one 5 gallon. On a side note, I think I am going to make your pumpkin porter in the next few weeks. :)

Back