Question about IPA I designed and am brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyMike

Reaction score
So, using Beersmith, I designed an IPA, which is just finishing up its FG readings in my primary. I've sampled the beer a few times, and it smells great, and has decent bite at the end. I was planning on dry hopping, but don't want to really make the IPA so "bitey" that its almost undrinkable.

Here's the recipe:

5.5 gallon batch

1 lb Crystal 40 - Steep 30 min around 155 deg F
6 lbs Gold LME - 60 min boil
3.15 lbs Gold LME - 45 min boil
1 oz Centennial at 60 min
1 oz Citra at 30 min
1 oz Centennial at 15 min

Used American Ale 1056

I was going to add 1oz of each Centennial and Citra for 7 day dry hop

Instincts tell me to go for it and dry hop. But going on taste alone, and I know that the bite from the hops will subside as the beer ages, I as hesitant to add the hops in fear of a possibly undrinkable brew.

Thoughts and suggestions from my fellow hopheads.

Add the hops, you'll be glad you did. Dry hopping is for the fresh hop aroma. It won't add any more bitterness as that is done by boiling the hops. Make sure your beer is at its final gravity before adding the hops so you don't lose any of the aroma.

Agreed ^

Dry hopping is a must for this recipe - you will be very pleased with the results. You can probably cut it back to a half oz of each if you have supply limitations but either way go for it!

Latest posts

Back