Question about hydrometer testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
What's the best way to fill the graduated cylinder. Should siphon it or just dip the whole cylinder in to fill it?

Now see that's why I love this forum... Sterile turkey baster!! I will be using that during next brew!! Brilliant!!

+1 on a wine thief. But if you do go the baster route (totally fine) just make sure it's a new one or at least VERY CLEAN - you don't want the leftover drippings from the thanksgiving turkey fouling up your brew.

Cheers!

Does you guys dump the beer you test back in or just throw it away?

Don't put it back! Taste it, get a idea of what your brew will be like. Then dump it.

To me, the thief is the way to go. Costs about $9, and lets you take gravity reading with a fraction of the beer you would otherwise have to pull. Just dip the thief into your beer, pull it out, drop the hydrometer in.

homebrewdad said:
To me, the thief is the way to go. Costs about $9, and lets you take gravity reading with a fraction of the beer you would otherwise have to pull. Just dip the thief into your beer, pull it out, drop the hydrometer in.

+1. This is exactly what I do.

I have heard that some combinations of hydrometer and thief do not allow it (thin thief, wide hydrometer).

Latest posts

Back